And we’re back with another test of your hockey knowledge with “Who Am I?”! The last edition was challenging for people, something I hope continues this week!
Before we get to this week’s challenge, though, let’s take a look at the info from last time:
1. I am a rookie of the year winner who, despite this, never saw NHL action the following year (Won the Calder Trophy in 1953 only to play the entire 1953-54 season for the Vancouver Canucks of the WHL after asking for a $500 raise)
2. I won consecutive Stanley Cups twice. (1965 & 1966 and 1968 & 1969 with the Montreal Canadiens)
3. I was the first player at my position to reach this rather dubious accomplishment. (First goaltender to record 300 wins and 300 losses in a career. Later Joined by Curtis Joseph)
4. I retired due to a condition that, among reasons for professional sports retirements, would be considered unique. (An phobia related to a fear of flying that lead to a nervous breakdown following a particularly rough flight between Montreal and Chicago, en route to Los Angeles, in 1969).
5. I made the NHL via tryout, not via the draft. (Made the Verdun Cyclones via tryout. As the Cyclones were a NY Rangers sponsored team, he became their property.)
Who Am I? I’m…….Gump Worsley!!!
Now for the newest installment which I hope is a lot tougher for you guys than the last one!!! Give it a go, post your answers in the comment section and back up your answer please.
1. I played for three NHL teams, all of them 1967 expansion franchises.
2. I am a hockey hall of fame member.
3. My first NHL goal very unique.
4. I am currently employed by a NHL team.
5. While all of the franchises I have played for have won cups in their history, I never did, despite playing in two cup finals.
Let’s see how you do folks! Good luck!
Attention all you hockey nuts out there: You have a piece of treasured memorabilia that has a great story behind it? Let me know and you can be featured in an article. Doesn't matter how big or small the piece is, how valuable it may be, or whether it's a common item or more oddball. If you think it has a story, contact me via the information below and we'll chat. In the meantime, check out some previous "Display Case" articles via the links below to see what others have submitted in the past...
Facebook: Shawn Gates
Facebook Group: Hockeybuzz Collectibles
Previous “Who Am I?” Articles
Previous “Display Case” Articles
#1: The “Frankenstick!”
#2: Your desk has the right to remain collectable!
#3: Have Pads, Will Travel
#4: Pick a Pekka (Rinne) Autographed Mask
#5: Ted Lindsay Gets Kronwalled?
Previous “Points To Ponder” Articles
Hockey Writers: Bottom Of The Barrel?!?!?
161 Players Overrate The Need To Offer Their Opinion
East vs West: Which Conference is Best?
Previous “Hockey Videos”
2012: Week 1
2012: Week 2
2012: Week 3
2012: Week 4
2012: Week 5
2012: Week 6
2012: Week 7
Pain for Pleasure
Nature Versus Sports
Previous “Who Knew?” Articles
#1: Gordie Howe
#2: The Zamboni
#3: Maurice “The Rocket” Richard
#4: Ron Hextall
#5: Stanley Cup Abuse, Neglect and Versatility
#6: The Puck
#7: Don Cherry
#8: Cam Neely
#9: The Early Years of Les Canadiens
#10: Hockey Superstitions!
#11: Olympic Hockey Pt1
#12: Jarome Iginla
#13: Mark Messier
#14: Johnny Bower
Previous Product Previews & Reviews
2010-11 Donruss Hockey
2010-11 Panini Score Hockey
2010-11 Panini Certified Hockey
2010-11 ITG Ultimate Memorabilia, 10th Edition
2010-11 ITG Heroes & Prospects
2010-11 Panini Pinnacle Hockey
2011 UD National Hockey Card Day
2011 UD All Star Weekend Redemptions
2010-11 ITG Between The Pipes
Previous “WHAT IF…?” Articles
#1 What If The NHL Contracted To 24 Teams?
#2 What If Quebec Traded Lindros To The Rangers Instead Of The Flyers?
#3 What If Calgary Drafted Martin Brodeur Instead Of Trevor Kidd?
#3a What If Calgary Drafted Martin Brodeur Instead Of Trevor Kidd?: A RESPONSE
#4 What If The WHA Never Existed?
#5 What If The Position Of Rover Had Not Been Eliminated?
#6 What If Pittsburgh Had Not Been Awarded A Team In 1967?
#7 What If Steve Smith Had Not Scored In His Own Net In Game 7?
#8 What If The NHL Had a Cross-Conference Playoff Structure?
#9 What If The NHL Asked For Fan Ideas For Improving The Game??
#10 What If Henderson Had Missed The Net In Game 8?
#11 What If You Could Sneak Into A Stanley Cup Celebration?
#12 What If The NHL Returned To Quebec City?
#13 What if Toronto and Edmonton Had Traded Teams in 1981?
#14 What if You Could Create Your Own Hockey Dream Team?
#15 What if An Active Player in the NHL “Came Out” as Gay?
#16 You Could Assemble Your Own Fantasy Pick-up Hockey Team?
#17 Hockey Had A Champions League Tournament?
#18 Team "X" Did NOT Make Trade "Y" At The Deadline?
#19 Gretzky Had Been Called For he High Stick?
#20 Star Players Hadn't Had Their Careers Cut Short?
#21 Mark Cuban Owned An NHL Team?
#22 Should Divisional Play Be Overhauled?
#23 You Won The Lottery Using Jersey Numbers?
#24 You Could Change Any Teams Name?
Ultimate Set Build
Previous "Devil's In The Details" Articles
#1: Beware the "Factory Sealed Box"!
#2: The Price Guide"
#3: What IS A Rookie Card?
#4: Beware the Money Order!
#5: The Counterfeit Gretzky RC
Previous Box Breaks
2010-11 Score Hockey
Previous “Devil's Advocate” Articles
Gary Bettman and the Phoenix Coyotes
Previous “According to Twitter” Articles
Olympic Gold Medal Game
Previous “Town Without A Team” Articles
Booger Hollow, Arkansas
Previous “Hockey Psychology” Articles
State Dependent Learning
Arousal and Performance