I really am stunned at the lack of thoroughness being displayed by the so-called traditional media. I have seen and heard three different examples of the same misinformation being given in the past 48 hours regarding the Shea Weber situation here in Nashville. ESPN.com, the Sporting News and NHL Home Ice all have shown a stunning lack of knowledge on the arbitration process. Scott Laughlin on Home Ice’s afternoon show continued to spout inaccuracies about the team walking away and neither ESPN or Sporting News have corrected their stories as of this writing.
To be clear… the team
elected for the arbitration process… the team must accept the arbitrators ruling, the player has the choice of a one or two year contract. Neither party can walk away.
If you want the clause numbers and legalese involved, Dirk over at On the Forecheck
has a detailed breakdown.
Going to arbitration is always a dicey process, especially with the Nashville Predators. Those players that have gone through the process have not remained long term with the team. This, however, is a very different situation. Being team elected, the tables are turned a bit, I don’t see the team having the same attitude… and after all, this is Shea Weber we are talking about here. I would think that the team will do everything possible to not walk into that hearing on August 2nd.
Pred Nation waits and sweats just a little more with each passing day, and not only because of the weather.
- You think Pred fans are freaking over the Weber situation, Lightning fans are going nuts… The Steve Stamkos negotiation is drawing out a long time. I can only think that it is a matter of time before another team gets antsy and drops an offer sheet to force Tampa Bay’s hand.
- Interested in being a Nashville Predators Ice Girl? Auditions are scheduled for Saturday July 30th at Centennial Sportsplex. More info here
- Nice ranking and breakdown of NHL goalie tandems at Red Light District
- Alexi Yashin… coming back to the NHL? Really???
- Reports out of Detroit have Chris Osgood announcing his retirement today. Talk about a consistently underrated goaltender… all he did was win.
- 58 days till training camp opens.
You are invited to follow me on Twitter. Search for @PredPAPaul… Not only will I be updating when I get news or updates, but we are having a bit of fun by getting your input on Gnash introductions, weigh in on Twitter and who knows, we may use your introduction for the best mascot in the NHL at the next Preds game!