Quick Hits: June 9, 2023
1) Flyers Daily: Jason Myrtetus speaks one-on-one with Flyers right winger Owen Tippett in Friday's edition of Flyers Daily. The player discusses his 2022-23 season, how his self-confidence in his game has grown since coming to the Flyers, the importance to a player of feeling like there's a bonafide opportunity to shine, and more. To listen, click here
. In addition to the podcast on the Flyers Broadcast Network, Brian Smith authored a feature article on Tippett for PhiladelphiaFlyers.com. Both are part of the ongoing series of post Exit Day content for the offseason.
2) On PhiladelphiaFlyers.com, I wrote an article looking at Tyson Foerster's 2022-23 season with the Phantoms and Flyers. This week, the 21-year-old Foerster was named to the AHL's inaugural Top Prospects Team. For more, click here
3) Today in Flyers History: June 9, 1982
On June 9, 1982, the Flyers traded two-time All-Star goaltender Pete Peeters to the Boston Bruins in a one-for-one exchange for young defenseman Brad McCrimmon. Although Peeters won the Vezina Trophy in his first season with Boston and it took awhile for McCrimmon to truly thrive with the Flyers, the trade ended up working out well for Philadelphia. McCrimmon eventually settled in and formed arguably the best defensive pairing in franchise history alongside Hockey Hall of Fame defenseman Mark Howe. Additionally, trading Peeters opened the door for Pelle Lindbergh, who made the All-Star Game as a rookie in 1982-83 and went on to win the Vezina Trophy in 1984-85. Peeters' career took a downturn after 1983.
4) Today in Flyers History: June 9, 2010
Thirteen years ago tonight, Patrick Kane's flat-angle overtime goal in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final ended the series and brough the Stanley Cup to the Chicago Blackhawks at the Flyers' expense. The Blackhawks, who went on a run of three Stanley Cup championships in six years, saw a 49-year Cup drought come to an end.
5) July 9 Alumni birthdays: John Paddock (1954), Russ Romaniuk (1970)