Nashville Predators Blogger •Predators Radio Network • RSS
It’s Snowpocalypse 2 as snow hits Nashville again, the south digs out from another storm and waits for its second hit later today, so sit back with a warm beverage and enjoy today’s notes…
- After the California sweep, the Predators stand 2nd in the Central Division, nine points behind Detroit with a game in hand, one point ahead of Chicago with three games in hand. Nashville stands 4th in the Western Conference, tied in points with Anaheim with 4 games in hand.
- The Predators are home tomorrow night against the Minnesota Wild, who opened 2011 with four straight wins before dropping a 4-0 decision on home ice Sunday. The Wild stand 10th in the conference tied with three other teams at 47 points.
- The Predators injury situation may be improving as head coach Barry Trotz has been quoted as saying Martin Erat and Steve Sullivan are close to returning, as soon as this week.
- Wow… some serous whining… err lobbying from Columbus coach –Scott Arneil about the lack of “star treatment” for Rick Nash. Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch has some great quotes on this (BTW, Aaron is a great follow on Twitter) including the coach saying that “maybe we have to do a little more crying on complaining.” Sure coach, the problem in Columbus is a lack of calls for Nash. In case you haven’t noticed… the Blue Jackets power play is converting at a 12.2% rate… good for 29th in league… so that extra power play in the LA game would’ve been the difference. Hmmm…
- Speaking of Columbus… Mike Commodore cleared waivers and has been assigned to Springfield in the AHL.
-The latest suspension controversy revolves around the six-game one given to Tom Kostopoulos as a result of his blindside hit on Detroit’s Brad Stuart. Stuart broke his jaw on the play and will miss 6-8 weeks. Friend of this blog Dirk Hoag wrote an insightful piece on his blog On the Forecheck detailing why the controversy exists.
- You’re starting to see the stories about how HBO and NHL can top the excellent 24/7 leading up to the Winter Classic… the most intriguing one? 24/7 during a playoff series. That is a “WOW” idea.
You are invited to follow me on Twitter. Search for @PredPAPaul… Not only will I be updating when I get news or updates, but we are having a bit of fun by getting your input on Gnash introductions, weigh in on Twitter and who knows, we may use your introduction for the best mascot in the NHL at the next Preds game!
COMING UP ON THE NEXT SLAPSHOT RADIO…
We will preview the NCAA game between UAH and Merrimack College coming to the Bridge with the head coach of the UAH Chargers, Chris Luongo. We’ll also take a look at the Predators-Panthers game with Florida radio play-by-play man Randy Moller. It’s all on Wednesday’s SlapShot Radio, 6pm Central on SportsRadio 560 WNSR or listen online at www.slapshotradio.com