Quick Hits: Aug. 3, 2021
1) Elliotte Friedman reported on Monday that the Flyers have elected to file for team-initiated arbitration with restricted free agent defenseman Travis Sanheim. The significant majority of cases get resolved prior to an arbitration hearing. It is likely that the Flyers and Sanheim camp are not currently close to reaching an agreement on a new contract. However, having a deadline set before an arbitration hearing often helps to bring about a resolution. The binding nature of NHL arbitration (unless the NHL team opts to walk away from the award and make the player an unrestricted free agent, which is very unlikely in this case) means both sides entail risk of an unfavorable ruling.
If the case actually does get heard by an arbitrator, the Sanheim camp will have the option of choosing a one-year or two-year award. Sanheim will enter his sixth professional season in 2021-22. He could become an unrestricted free agent after the 2022-23 campaign.
2) Now entering his second stint with the Flyers, checking center Nate Thompson is Jason Myrtetus' guest on today's edition of Flyers Daily: click here
3) On the Flyers official website, we have two new articles posted.
* The "Offseason Inventory" series continues with a look at veteran role players Scott Laughton, Justin Braun and Samuel Morin: click here
* We profiled the five recent two-way contract signees the Flyers announced last week: Ryan Fitzgerald, Gerry Mayhew, Adam Clendening, Nick Seeler and Cooper Zech. In addition to bolstering the Lehigh Valley roster, three of the five players (Mayhew, Clendening and Seeler) have NHL experience as well: click here
4) On Monday, the Flyers announced the following hirings and promotions within the hockey operations department:
* Former Flyers captain and WHL coach Jason Smith along with now-former Maine Mariners head coach Riley Armstrong have been hired as Ian Laperriere's assistant coaches on the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. Jacob Rogers has been brought aboard as Lehigh Valley's assistant equipment manager.
* As noted in blog earlier this week, former NHL player, Bruins GM and LA Kings development overseer Mike O'Connell has joined the Flyers as a Sr. Advisor to Chuck Fletcher and Player Development Advisor.
* Longtime former NHL player, coach, general manager (Chicago Blackhawks) and scout (Nashville Predators) Nick Beverley has joined the Flyers as a pro scout.
* Joakim Grundberg has been promoted from amateur scout to the newly created position of Director of European Scouting.
* Now-former Portland Winter Hawks GM Matt Bardsley has joined the Flyers organization a
s an amateur scout.
* Jacob Hurlbut has been promoted to the Flyers assistant director of hockey analytics. Previously, he was lead developer in the Flyers analytics program. Hurlbut works directly under director of hockey analytics Ian Anderson.
* Dan Warnke has been promoted from assistant strength and conditioning coach to head coach. Derick O'Connell has been hired as his assistant.
5) A few days ago, the Pittsburgh Penguins announced that they had hired Nick Pryor away from the Flyers as their new director of amateur scouting in both North America and Europe. This a career step up for Pryor from amateur scout (with a concentration on the USHL, USNTDP, high school players, NAHL, etc). Pryor's dad, Chris Pryor, serves as director player personnel. Nick Pryor will report to assistant general manager Patrik Allvin.
Brett Hextall, Ron Hextall's son, recently stepped down from his position as a Flyers development coach to join the Penguins as their integrated development coaching overseer. Additionally, former Flyers player and Lehigh Valley assistant coach Kerry Huffman recently joined the Penguins as a pro scout.
6) It is incredible to see the progress that three-year-old Anastasia Condon has made with her adaptive bicycle in barely more than a week since the Flyers Alumni Association ordered and donated a fully customized bike for her. Ana's dad, Bobby Condon, posted the video below to Twitter.