Wanna blog? Start your own hockey blog with My HockeyBuzz. Register for free today!

Forums :: New York Islanders :: Will the Islanders make the playoffs?
Jethro09
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 5:29 PM ET
I'm failing to see how winning consistently is possible by signing subpar players to long term deals?
That's a rhetorical question of course not necessarily directed at you. Yes losing tavares was a huge blow but giving up after is exactly what this team shouldn't be doing. You're sending that same losing message.

- Cptmjl

I know you’re hating on all lou’s Signings and moves so far, but are they really that bad? Komarov was a questionable contract, but the rest weren’t terrible. Filppula is signed to a one year deal. Hickey for $2.5M per isn’t terrible, even over four years. Trading for MM isn’t the end of the world, especially if Lou is going to move out Clutter or some other lousy botttom six forward on the roster. Lehner at $1.5M isn’t bad either, especially on a one year deal.

Lou has to ice a team. He had to sign guys to fill spots vacated by departures. He’s been in the job for a month. He still has time before September and can make moves during the season. He needs some time to re-mold this team. The FA class sucked and clearly with JT walking, nobody good wants to come here. That has been the stain in this franchise for years before Lou arrived.
Wildschwein
Location: Jumping ship from the Oil to the Isles is like jumping from the Titanic directly onto the Bismark

Jul 4 @ 6:09 PM ET
I know you’re hating on all lou’s Signings and moves so far, but are they really that bad? Komarov was a questionable contract, but the rest weren’t terrible. Filppula is signed to a one year deal. Hickey for $2.5M per isn’t terrible, even over four years. Trading for MM isn’t the end of the world, especially if Lou is going to move out Clutter or some other lousy botttom six forward on the roster. Lehner at $1.5M isn’t bad either, especially on a one year deal.

Lou has to ice a team. He had to sign guys to fill spots vacated by departures. He’s been in the job for a month. He still has time before September and can make moves during the season. He needs some time to re-mold this team. The FA class sucked and clearly with JT walking, nobody good wants to come here. That has been the stain in this franchise for years before Lou arrived.

- Jethro09

You’re not wrong.

Hickey was the best defender left available (speaks leagues after this FA class). I doubt de Haan was seriously considering coming back, especially after how Snow tried to negotiate with him last time around.
Filppula is better than Quine or Prince, and neither his price nor his term is unreasonable.
Komarov got too damn much money and term. I don’t care for his deal, but Lou trusts him on the PK.
Martin was brought back for the fans. He was loved as an Islander, and a significant amount of the fanbase is always gonna love hard hitting plugs. I don’t like his price but I can understand the rationale behind it.
Kuhnhackl is Bridgeport bound.
Lehner was the best goalie available (again, weak ass FA class). Lou signed him cheaply on a “show me” deal and I have no issue with it.

So other than Komarov, I can see why Lou did what he did.
nyisles7
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 6:21 PM ET

- Jethro09

100% Jethro, but your on the Islanders board here and no ones gonna agree. They haven’t even played a game. Hell Trotz hasn’t ever ran a practice and it’s all shat.
Everyone on here can manage a Cap better, sign players better, and trade better than a Stanley Cup winning coach and multiple Cup winning GM.
Again I’m surprised L and M didn’t come here to find Snows replacement, God Forbid!
Isles_since_6
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 6:28 PM ET
100% Jethro, but your on the Islanders board here and no ones gonna agree. They haven’t even played a game. Hell Trotz hasn’t ever run a practice and it’s all shat.
Everyone on here can manage a Cap better, sign players better, and trade better than a Stanley Cup winning coach and multiple Cup winning GM.
Again I’m surprised L and M didn’t come here to find Snows replacement, God Forbid!

- nyisles7

I wish I could have the job for a week. The rest of you likely don't want to see what that would look like.
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 6:36 PM ET

- Jethro09

I see zero point in pumping money into players that were either passed their prime or not viable to begin with. Hickey was a huge part of the worst defense in the nhl last season. I think he's terrible his turnovers in our end are laughable at times we literally sit on this thread and crack jokes about it every, single game. I have no idea how any islander fan can be ok with extending this guy four years? His other signings are what they are. Terrible players with NMC's and NTC's. We pumped a lot of cap space into some BAD players to me I have a hard time understanding how anyone can find positive in this along with helping the Leafs with their cap problem to add insult to injury by getting them out of the Martin contract.

I get the whole give Lou time routine but honestly free agency is a joke so far for us. Denying it to me is sticking your head in the sand. Investing in garbage is exactly one of my biggest issues with Snow and here we are again signed to long term deals with garbage. Sorry I can't see the positive here man we'll just agree to disagree on this one I'm not going to feign some fake positivity for this clown show to try to appease anyone. Maybe there's a bigger plan but so far this is not good.
nyisles7
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 6:38 PM ET
I see zero point in pumping money into players that were either passed their prime or not viable to begin with. Hickey was a huge part of the worst defense in the nhl last season. I think he's terrible his turnovers in our end are laughable at times we literally sit on this thread and crack jokes about it every, single game. I have no idea how any islander fan can be ok with extending this guy four years? His other signings are what they are. Terrible players with NMC's and NTC's. We pumped a lot of cap space into some BAD players to me I have a hard time understanding how anyone can find positive in this along with helping the Leafs with their cap problem to add insult to injury by getting them out of the Martin contract.

I get the whole give Lou time routine but honestly free agency is a joke so far for us. Denying it to me is sticking your head in the sand. Investing in garbage is exactly one of my biggest issues with Snow and here we are again signed to long term deals with garbage. Sorry I can't see the positive here man we'll just agree to disagree on this one I'm not going to feign some fake positivity for this clown show to try to appease anyone. Maybe there's a bigger plan but so far this is not good.

- Cptmjl

nyisles7
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 6:40 PM ET
I wish I could have the job for a week. The rest of you likely don't want to see what that would look like.
- Isles_since_6

Start at teamworkonline.com and you can get an entry level job and work your way up to GM someday. Good luck
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 6:59 PM ET

- nyisles7

Typical. Opinion based. I know its nuts to discuss hockey on a hockey board even if it doesn't fit your opinion.
JohnScammo
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 7:04 PM ET

In Paris right now JS drinking some good red wine. No fireworks. Happy 4th of July.

- nyisles7

Whoa! Slumming again, 7? Can't you afford a nice beach vacation somewhere? Paris beaches are the worst....

Yeah, Happy 4th to you and all the other idiots here.
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 7:20 PM ET
- Isles_since_6

I'll take my chances.
Isles_since_6
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 7:55 PM ET
Start at teamworkonline.com and you can get an entry level job and work your way up to GM someday. Good luck
- nyisles7

Fock that, I’m looking to get in one game anywhere as a backup goaltender to beef up the resume
ses111
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 8:50 PM ET
https://www.newsday.com/s...-isles-defense-1.19602181
nyisles7
New York Islanders

Jul 5 @ 2:49 AM ET
Fock that, I’m looking to get in one game anywhere as a backup goaltender to beef up the resume
- Isles_since_6

I hear a teams accounting dept is a good place to start.
nyisles7
New York Islanders

Jul 5 @ 2:52 AM ET
Typical. Opinion based. I know its nuts to discuss hockey on a hockey board even if it doesn't fit your opinion.
- Cptmjl

nyisles7
New York Islanders

Jul 5 @ 5:22 AM ET
You’re not wrong.

Hickey was the best defender left available (speaks leagues after this FA class). I doubt de Haan was seriously considering coming back, especially after how Snow tried to negotiate with him last time around.
Filppula is better than Quine or Prince, and neither his price nor his term is unreasonable.
Komarov got too damn much money and term. I don’t care for his deal, but Lou trusts him on the PK.
Martin was brought back for the fans. He was loved as an Islander, and a significant amount of the fanbase is always gonna love hard hitting plugs. I don’t like his price but I can understand the rationale behind it.
Lehner was the best goalie available (again, weak ass FA class). Lou signed him cheaply on a “show me” deal and I have no issue with it.

- Wildschwein

Pretty much nailed it Schwein.
nyisles7
New York Islanders

Jul 5 @ 5:49 AM ET
Botta article

https://www.sny.tv/island...landers-returns/284110024
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Jul 5 @ 7:54 AM ET
You’re not wrong.

- Wildschwein

Doug Hamilton was available he was traded and is a good, young, defender with offensive upside. Hickey is a number 7. Would be nice to see the team make a real play to try and stay competitive for once rather than sign up for another four years for more horrible defense which is exactly what we just did signing hickey. Martin the fans can love all they want shat I loved Martin when he was here but understood he was/is a useless player. I'm more about trying to win games I'm just a little sick of watching terrible hockey unfortunately Martin is not a good hockey player signed to a joke of a contract which we so graciously helped the Leafs out of. This entire thread minus 7 was laughing at the Leafs for paying him so much now he's great? Lehner was the best goalie available after all the other goalies were gone I think maybe that's what you meant to say?
Who knows maybe lehner will surprise and stay healthy?
I'm not saying I hate lameriello not in anyway the guy needs time but I am saying there's not much to like about these moves because of the players and the term. The term is what really bothers me. Four more years of hickey? Komorav? Martin? We only added to our long term contracts dedicated to;
Ladd
Clutterbuck
Cizikas
Mayfield
Pelech
That's not a pretty list especially when you add the other names we just acquired it gets much uglier Also, why sign bottom 6 grinders to 2.5 million or more which is nuts to begin with but also throw in a NTC/NMC with an expansion draft looming? That to me is insane.
We'll see what else Lou does I think his next move will give us a clear picture of what exactly hes doing. I still think hes going to add to our top 6 which should be interesting and will add a ton and I also KNOW Trotz will add a lot to this team. I'm not all doom and gloom I just question the sense of the moves.
keaner17
New York Islanders

Jul 5 @ 10:12 AM ET

- Jethro09

100% agreed. I remember the nearly universal disagreement i got here a couple of years ago when i mentioned income taxes as a major deterrant for UFAs coming here. I hate when i see ' we shoulda just signed that guy' as though it's just automatic to get guys to sign. Let's give it some time here
eichiefs9
New York Islanders

Jul 5 @ 10:19 AM ET

- Jethro09

Putting aside the money/cap implications that you're speaking to...those are just bad players that he acquired. Komarov is 31 and has majorly declined. Matt Martin is terrible. Filppula isn't particularly good either. Hickey is a borderline-replacement-level defenseman. Not only did they get involuntarily-worse by losing Tavares, but they proceeded to intentionally make themselves worse also. They could have added similar value by signing a bunch of AHL players that would have cost them probably $3M combined.

They are doing a really, really bad job so far. Really bad. Signing Lehner to that dirt cheap 'show-me' deal has been the only positive thing they've done.
eichiefs9
New York Islanders

Jul 5 @ 10:21 AM ET
Don Brennan
‏@SunDoniB
Following Following @SunDoniB

A source who has a great batting average says he feels "very comfortable" with a source that tells him Karlsson will be traded to the #TBLightning
Stay tuned. #senators

If this actually happens I wonder if Tampa doesn't strongly consider moving out Tyler Johnson and his salary. He'd be a good option behind Barzal.
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Jul 5 @ 10:26 AM ET
Don Brennan
‏@SunDoniB

A source who has a great batting average says he feels "very comfortable" with a source that tells him Karlsson will be traded to the #TBLightning
Stay tuned. #senators

If this actually happens I wonder if Tampa doesn't strongly consider moving out Tyler Johnson and his salary. He'd be a good option behind Barzal.

- eichiefs9

I would take him in a heart beat.
Isleshockeyman

Jul 5 @ 10:28 AM ET
Don Brennan
‏@SunDoniB

Stay tuned. #senators

- eichiefs9

And one of the few bright spots.
eichiefs9
New York Islanders

Jul 5 @ 10:31 AM ET
And one of the few bright spots.
- Isleshockeyman

Not to mention that Karlsson to Tampa would make that team a powerhouse and that would, in theory, make it extremely difficult for assrag and the rest of the Leafs to ever make it past the ECF...if even get that far. Every non-Leafs Atlantic team is my new second-favorite hockey team. Hoping the Bolts and Bruins stick it to the Leafs for, oh...the next 7 years or so.
ses111
New York Islanders

Jul 5 @ 10:32 AM ET
Don Brennan
‏@SunDoniB

Stay tuned. #senators

- eichiefs9

How can Tampa even fit Karlsson? I'll gladly take Tyler Johnson and would think Tampa has to move even more players?

Deleted Post []
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379, 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433, 434, 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451, 452, 453, 454, 455, 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463, 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469, 470, 471, 472, 473, 474, 475, 476, 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498, 499, 500, 501, 502, 503, 504, 505, 506, 507, 508, 509, 510, 511, 512, 513, 514, 515, 516, 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522, 523, 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530, 531, 532, 533, 534, 535, 536, 537, 538, 539, 540, 541, 542, 543, 544, 545, 546, 547, 548, 549, 550, 551, 552, 553, 554, 555, 556, 557, 558, 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 565, 566, 567, 568, 569, 570, 571, 572, 573, 574, 575, 576, 577, 578, 579, 580, 581, 582, 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592, 593, 594, 595, 596, 597, 598, 599, 600, 601, 602, 603, 604, 605, 606, 607, 608, 609, 610, 611, 612, 613, 614, 615, 616, 617, 618, 619, 620, 621, 622, 623, 624, 625, 626, 627, 628, 629, 630, 631, 632, 633, 634, 635, 636, 637, 638, 639, 640, 641, 642, 643, 644, 645, 646, 647, 648, 649, 650, 651, 652, 653, 654, 655, 656, 657, 658, 659, 660, 661, 662, 663, 664, 665, 666, 667, 668, 669, 670, 671, 672, 673, 674, 675, 676, 677, 678, 679, 680, 681, 682, 683, 684, 685, 686, 687, 688, 689, 690, 691, 692, 693, 694, 695, 696, 697, 698, 699, 700, 701, 702, 703, 704, 705, 706, 707, 708, 709, 710, 711, 712, 713, 714, 715, 716, 717, 718, 719, 720, 721, 722, 723, 724, 725, 726, 727, 728, 729, 730, 731, 732, 733, 734, 735, 736, 737, 738, 739, 740, 741, 742, 743, 744, 745, 746, 747, 748, 749, 750, 751, 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 760, 761, 762, 763, 764, 765, 766, 767, 768, 769, 770, 771, 772, 773, 774, 775, 776, 777, 778, 779, 780, 781, 782, 783, 784, 785, 786, 787, 788, 789, 790, 791, 792, 793, 794, 795, 796, 797, 798, 799, 800, 801, 802, 803, 804, 805, 806, 807, 808, 809, 810, 811, 812, 813, 814, 815, 816, 817, 818, 819, 820, 821, 822, 823, 824, 825, 826, 827, 828, 829, 830, 831, 832, 833, 834, 835, 836, 837, 838, 839, 840, 841, 842, 843, 844, 845, 846, 847, 848, 849, 850, 851, 852, 853, 854, 855, 856, 857, 858, 859, 860, 861, 862, 863, 864, 865, 866, 867, 868, 869, 870, 871, 872, 873, 874, 875, 876, 877, 878, 879, 880, 881, 882, 883, 884, 885, 886, 887, 888, 889, 890, 891, 892, 893, 894, 895, 896, 897, 898, 899, 900, 901, 902, 903, 904, 905, 906, 907, 908, 909, 910, 911, 912, 913, 914, 915, 916, 917, 918, 919, 920, 921, 922, 923, 924, 925, 926, 927, 928, 929, 930, 931, 932, 933, 934, 935, 936, 937, 938, 939, 940, 941, 942, 943, 944, 945, 946, 947, 948, 949, 950, 951, 952, 953, 954, 955, 956, 957, 958, 959, 960, 961, 962, 963, 964, 965, 966, 967, 968, 969, 970, 971, 972, 973, 974, 975, 976, 977, 978, 979, 980, 981, 982, 983, 984, 985, 986, 987, 988, 989, 990, 991, 992, 993, 994, 995, 996, 997, 998, 999, 1000, 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 1005, 1006, 1007, 1008, 1009, 1010, 1011, 1012, 1013, 1014, 1015, 1016, 1017, 1018, 1019, 1020, 1021, 1022, 1023, 1024, 1025, 1026, 1027, 1028, 1029, 1030, 1031, 1032, 1033, 1034, 1035, 1036, 1037, 1038, 1039, 1040, 1041, 1042, 1043, 1044, 1045, 1046, 1047, 1048, 1049, 1050, 1051, 1052, 1053, 1054, 1055, 1056, 1057, 1058, 1059, 1060, 1061, 1062, 1063, 1064, 1065, 1066, 1067, 1068, 1069, 1070, 1071, 1072, 1073, 1074, 1075, 1076, 1077, 1078, 1079, 1080, 1081, 1082, 1083, 1084, 1085, 1086, 1087, 1088, 1089, 1090, 1091, 1092, 1093, 1094, 1095, 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099, 1100, 1101, 1102, 1103, 1104, 1105, 1106, 1107, 1108, 1109, 1110, 1111, 1112, 1113, 1114, 1115, 1116, 1117, 1118, 1119, 1120, 1121, 1122, 1123, 1124, 1125, 1126, 1127, 1128, 1129, 1130, 1131, 1132, 1133, 1134, 1135, 1136, 1137, 1138, 1139, 1140, 1141, 1142, 1143, 1144, 1145, 1146, 1147, 1148, 1149, 1150, 1151, 1152, 1153, 1154, 1155, 1156, 1157, 1158, 1159, 1160, 1161, 1162, 1163, 1164, 1165, 1166, 1167, 1168, 1169, 1170, 1171, 1172, 1173, 1174, 1175, 1176, 1177, 1178, 1179, 1180, 1181, 1182, 1183, 1184, 1185, 1186, 1187, 1188, 1189, 1190, 1191, 1192, 1193, 1194, 1195, 1196, 1197, 1198, 1199, 1200, 1201, 1202, 1203, 1204, 1205, 1206, 1207, 1208, 1209, 1210, 1211, 1212, 1213, 1214, 1215, 1216, 1217, 1218, 1219, 1220, 1221, 1222, 1223, 1224, 1225, 1226, 1227, 1228, 1229, 1230, 1231, 1232, 1233, 1234, 1235, 1236, 1237, 1238, 1239, 1240, 1241, 1242, 1243, 1244, 1245, 1246, 1247, 1248, 1249, 1250, 1251, 1252, 1253, 1254, 1255, 1256, 1257, 1258, 1259, 1260, 1261, 1262, 1263, 1264, 1265, 1266, 1267, 1268, 1269, 1270, 1271, 1272, 1273, 1274, 1275, 1276, 1277, 1278, 1279, 1280, 1281, 1282, 1283, 1284, 1285, 1286, 1287, 1288, 1289, 1290, 1291, 1292, 1293, 1294, 1295, 1296, 1297, 1298, 1299, 1300, 1301, 1302, 1303, 1304, 1305, 1306, 1307, 1308, 1309, 1310, 1311, 1312, 1313, 1314, 1315, 1316, 1317, 1318, 1319, 1320, 1321, 1322, 1323, 1324, 1325, 1326, 1327, 1328, 1329, 1330, 1331, 1332, 1333, 1334, 1335, 1336, 1337, 1338, 1339, 1340, 1341, 1342, 1343, 1344, 1345, 1346, 1347, 1348, 1349, 1350, 1351, 1352, 1353, 1354, 1355, 1356, 1357, 1358, 1359, 1360, 1361, 1362, 1363, 1364, 1365, 1366, 1367, 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372, 1373, 1374, 1375, 1376, 1377, 1378, 1379, 1380, 1381, 1382, 1383, 1384, 1385, 1386, 1387, 1388, 1389, 1390  Next