Wanna blog? Start your own hockey blog with My HockeyBuzz. Register for free today!

Forums :: New York Islanders :: Will the Islanders make the playoffs?
niteislander
New York Islanders

Feb 27 @ 11:57 AM ET
Almost as bad as the video
- mdw7413

I like it.. basically telling all the media idiots who ran with that dopey video to stick it in their keesters.
Wildschwein
Edmonton Oilers
Location: Gio's face looks like someone hit a cat fish with a shovel.

Feb 27 @ 11:58 AM ET
Almost as bad as the video
- mdw7413

I thought it was a great deal more rational and a lot less weepy.
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Feb 27 @ 11:59 AM ET
And a great run which isn't sustainable for any team except tampa
- Upstate_isles

Of course. They’re going to lose and any sensible fan had to know it wasn’t sustainable at the level they were winning but the way we’re losing is pretty crappy. Going half a period or more without a shot while playing shoddy defense. Players standing still out there. Continuous completely inept power play.

Button it up already these aren’t new problems. If Barzal is on the first unit get Leddy off of it be damn zone entries because of Barzal. Do something. We decimate our 5 on 5 play by sabotaging one of our scoring lines while keeping our power play lines status quo that have not worked the entire season. If you’re going to blow up anything that would be a good place to start. Come on.
mdw7413
Winnipeg Jets
Location: You're exactly the problem with trying to have a conversation on here. - Tanner

Feb 27 @ 12:05 PM ET
I like it.. basically telling all the media idiots who ran with that dopey video to stick it in their keesters.
- niteislander

The writer should have left it at that. Would have been perfect.

The thing about that video is though, those fans were willing participants, they wanted to do it. I know they are the fringe and only like 6 people out of a ton of fans, but its not wholly on the media.
Upstate_isles
New York Islanders

Feb 27 @ 12:11 PM ET
Of course. They’re going to lose and any sensible fan had to know it wasn’t sustainable at the level they were winning but the way we’re losing is pretty crappy. Going half a period or more without a shot while playing shoddy defense. Players standing still out there. Continuous completely inept power play.

Button it up already these aren’t new problems. If Barzal is on the first unit get Leddy off of it be damn zone entries because of Barzal. Do something. We decimate our 5 on 5 play by sabotaging one of our scoring lines while keeping our power play lines status quo that have not worked the entire season. If you’re going to blow up anything that would be a good place to start. Come on.

- Cptmjl

I'm not sure what the barzal komorov deal is but it's pretty terrible to watch barzal is a speed guy put someone you know fast with him to get teams on their heals
eichiefs9
New York Islanders

Feb 27 @ 12:13 PM ET
Or kuhnackl for that matter... Funny how we always wanted to see tavares with legitimate talent on his wings and Barzal is playing with kuhnackl, Ladd, and Komarov. 😂
- Cptmjl

I think the honest answer is that they expected this year to be an evaluation year (no shit chiefs, that was reported) and they expected to be really bad. The team is way ahead of schedule and I think that, somewhat, threw Lou for a loop. That's great news because that means they've bought in to Trotz 100% and they're showing themselves that playing the right way is going to bring success.

Their prospect pool has some really great talent at the top, but doesn't have a lot of depth. Outside of Koivula there may not be a center prospect that see's one minute of NHL time ever. In no particular order, Dobson, Wahlstrom, and Wilde (ok that was alphabetical order) are all really talented and would've been tough to deal for immediate help. I'm frustrated that we couldn't add scoring help at the deadline, but I think the amount of long-term deals on the roster AND the shallow-ness of the prospect pool were majorly working against us.

I have faith that Lou & Co. will improve the team and I'm happy to wait until this offseason to see what happens. It seems like we have every reason to believe that they'll be seriously in on, at least, one of Panarin and Duchene. Panarin is a much better player but Duchene fills a need and is talented in his own right. I still think he wants to be a Predator no matter what, if the pay is reasonably-close to his open market value. There will be other options out there as well. I mentioned yesterday that they should be all-in on trying to acquire Alex Tuch from Vegas.

I think this team is going to look drastically different on opening night next season.
chazpet
New York Islanders

Feb 27 @ 12:13 PM ET
Sorry about the pessimism but as a 40 year long islanders , Atlanta falcons , Montreal expos/ nationals , and Denver Nuggets fan, well I’m just expecting it.
mdw7413
Winnipeg Jets
Location: You're exactly the problem with trying to have a conversation on here. - Tanner

Feb 27 @ 12:15 PM ET
I think the honest answer is that they expected this year to be an evaluation year (no shit chiefs, that was reported) and they expected to be really bad. The team is way ahead of schedule and I think that, somewhat, through Lou for a loop. That's great news because that means they've bought in to Trotz 100% and they're showing themselves that playing the right way is going to bring success.

Their prospect pool has some really great talent at the top, but doesn't have a lot of depth. Outside of Koivula there may not be a center prospect that see's one minute of NHL time ever. In no particular order, Dobson, Wahlstrom, and Wilde (ok that was alphabetical order) are all really talented and would've been tough to deal for immediate help. I'm frustrated that we couldn't add scoring help at the deadline, but I think the amount of long-term deals on the roster AND the shallow-ness of the prospect pool were majorly working against us.

I have faith that Lou & Co. will improve the team and I'm happy to wait until this offseason to see what happens. It seems like we have every reason to believe that they'll be seriously in on, at least, one of Panarin and Duchene. Panarin is a much better player but Duchene fills a need and is talented in his own right. I still think he wants to be a Predator no matter what, if the pay is reasonably-close to his open market value. There will be other options out there as well. I mentioned yesterday that they should be all-in on trying to acquire Alex Tuch from Vegas.

I think this team is going to look drastically different on opening night next season.

- eichiefs9

Great post Saver!
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Feb 27 @ 12:15 PM ET
I'm not sure what the barzal komorov deal is but it's pretty terrible to watch barzal is a speed guy put someone you know fast with him to get teams on their heals
- Upstate_isles

That and watch for kuhnackl completely sabotage plays while trying to keep up and Komarov fumble scoring chances that anyone with a lick of talent would’ve buried is maddening. Ladd good to see you healthy again but I hope you never skate in an islanders sweater again. I don’t think I’ve ever disliked an islanders player more.
eichiefs9
New York Islanders

Feb 27 @ 12:16 PM ET
Great post Saver!
- mdw7413

Yeah only 402920439 more of those to go and I'll catch up to him, assuming he broke both of his hands and feet
Wildschwein
Edmonton Oilers

Feb 27 @ 12:16 PM ET
The writer should have left it at that. Would have been perfect.

The thing about that video is though, those fans were willing participants, they wanted to do it. I know they are the fringe and only like 6 people out of a ton of fans, but its not wholly on the media.

- mdw7413

The truth of the matter lays somewhere in the mushy middle I fear. But as with all situations dealing with raw emotion, no middle ground is possible. Not this soon at any rate.
Upstate_isles
New York Islanders

Feb 27 @ 12:17 PM ET
I think the honest answer is that they expected this year to be an evaluation year (no shit chiefs, that was reported) and they expected to be really bad. The team is way ahead of schedule and I think that, somewhat, through Lou for a loop. That's great news because that means they've bought in to Trotz 100% and they're showing themselves that playing the right way is going to bring success.

- eichiefs9

Why the (frank) did he sign komorov a 4 year deal? Snow signed the ultimate albatross in ladd I mean those are roster spots that could go to more deserving players. I think he will go all out for panarin and maybe another center as filppula should be leaving
Wildschwein
Edmonton Oilers

Feb 27 @ 12:19 PM ET
Sorry about the pessimism but as a 40 year long islanders , Atlanta falcons , Montreal expos/ nationals , and Denver Nuggets fan, well I’m just expecting it.
- chazpet

mdw7413
Winnipeg Jets

Yeah only 402920439 more of those to go and I'll catch up to him, assuming he broke both of his hands and feet
- eichiefs9

Haven't seen him since the tdl. thank baby jesus
Upstate_isles
New York Islanders

That and watch for kuhnackl completely sabotage plays while trying to keep up and Komarov fumble scoring chances that anyone with a lick of talent would’ve buried is maddening. Ladd good to see you healthy again but I hope you never skate in an islanders sweater again. I don’t think I’ve ever disliked an islanders player more.
- Cptmjl

He just looks lazy out there like he has no desire to do anything. He can shoot but he doesn't play d or backcheck or forecheck or carry the puck or pass well or...
ses111
New York Islanders

Feb 27 @ 12:20 PM ET
Why the (frank) did he sign komorov a 4 year deal? Snow signed the ultimate albatross in ladd I mean those are roster spots that could go to more deserving players. I think he will go all out for panarin and maybe another center as filppula should be leaving
- Upstate_isles

This is a question many of us have been asking. No reason in the world to give Leo 4 years. What other team was giving him 4 years? If we get Panarin and bring back Nelson, I wonder if Otto could possibly be ready for 3C?
mdw7413
Winnipeg Jets

Feb 27 @ 12:21 PM ET
The truth of the matter lays somewhere in the mushy middle I fear. But as with all situations dealing with raw emotion, no middle ground is possible. Not this soon at any rate.
- Wildschwein

True. I think the majority of fans will have there say at the Colli and it will be pretty much over after that. You will still have the fringe idiots like every fan base, and the media will be done with it unless something happens during that game.
eichiefs9
New York Islanders

Feb 27 @ 12:21 PM ET
Mike Zeisberger
@Zeisberger
50s
Hitchcock on McDavid: "He's pissed off right now and I hope he stays that way from 7-9:30 tonight ... I'll try to keep his minutes under 30." #leafs #oilers

McDavid can pay us back for the other night by tuning up the Leafs tonight
eichiefs9
New York Islanders

Feb 27 @ 12:22 PM ET
True. I think the majority of fans will have there say at the Colli and it will be pretty much over after that. You will still have the fringe idiots like every fan base, and the media will be done with it unless something happens during that game.
- mdw7413

That article I posted is actually a really good read. Lays the whole situation out pretty logically and also shoves up the assess of the high and mighty Leafs cheerleaders that collect a TSN paycheck that just keep repeating the same old tired crap they usually do.
eichiefs9
New York Islanders

Feb 27 @ 12:24 PM ET
- Upstate_isles

A lot is going to hinge on what Lee signs for and what, if they keep him, Nelson signs for. Problem with Nelson is that the talent available at center in UFA is thin and will cost us a premium. Nelson may be the best option but he also might test the market and get significantly larger offers from other teams. There's nobody ready to take that role over, unless we're talking about Bailey returning to the center position (I felt dirty typing that).

I don't understand why they gave Komarov so much money. Or any money, really. I don't, and never have, bought for one single second that his "locker room" role was so important that they needed to dedicate $3M/year of cap space to him. Him and Ladd eating up a collective $8.5M is atrocious. They could probably lock Duchene up for close to that number AND still sign Panarin AND lock up Lee and maybe Nelson
eichiefs9
New York Islanders

Andrew Gross
@AGrossNewsday
23s
Certainly appears #Isles have cancelled noon practice. Waiting to see if there will be any media availability.
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

I think the honest answer is that they expected this year to be an evaluation year (no shit chiefs, that was reported) and they expected to be really bad. The team is way ahead of schedule and I think that, somewhat, threw Lou for a loop. That's great news because that means they've bought in to Trotz 100% and they're showing themselves that playing the right way is going to bring success.

- eichiefs9

Yeah let me be clear I couldn’t be happier that we have both Lou and Trotz especially when I think of the alternative. Also, I’ve stated numerous times I was on the fence with what to do with the TDL even with our obvious holes on this team. I will say I don’t fall in line with Lou being thrown for a loop with this teams success. We’re talking about a hall of fame gm here you adjust and fix things as you see what is before you. Part of me thinks we should’ve pushed harder for Stone. It would’ve filled a hole long term with a very good player but it’s not something I’m losing sleep over.

Again, I’m not saying he should’ve dumped prospects for quick fixes that’s not what we’re talking about here. We’re talking about(or at least I was)dealing with the problem at hand now which is not being able to score five on five or on the power play.
Wildschwein
Edmonton Oilers

Feb 27 @ 12:25 PM ET
This is a question many of us have been asking. No reason in the world to give Leo 4 years. What other team was giving him 4 years? If we get Panarin and bring back Nelson, I wonder if Otto could possibly be ready for 3C?
- ses111

If those minutes were somewhat sheltered, then yeah, he probably could.

Or the Islanders could grab someone cheap, like Colin Wilson.
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Feb 27 @ 12:26 PM ET
He just looks lazy out there like he has no desire to do anything. He can shoot but he doesn't play d or backcheck or forecheck or carry the puck or pass well or...
- Upstate_isles

That is my issue with him.
Wildschwein
Edmonton Oilers

Feb 27 @ 12:28 PM ET
Mike Zeisberger
@Zeisberger
50s
Hitchcock on McDavid: "He's pissed off right now and I hope he stays that way from 7-9:30 tonight ... I'll try to keep his minutes under 30." #leafs #oilers

McDavid can pay us back for the other night by tuning up the Leafs tonight

- eichiefs9

He probably will. He usually has big games vs the Laughs.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379, 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433, 434, 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451, 452, 453, 454, 455, 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463, 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469, 470, 471, 472, 473, 474, 475, 476, 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498, 499, 500, 501, 502, 503, 504, 505, 506, 507, 508, 509, 510, 511, 512, 513, 514, 515, 516, 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522, 523, 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530, 531, 532, 533, 534, 535, 536, 537, 538, 539, 540, 541, 542, 543, 544, 545, 546, 547, 548, 549, 550, 551, 552, 553, 554, 555, 556, 557, 558, 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 565, 566, 567, 568, 569, 570, 571, 572, 573, 574, 575, 576, 577, 578, 579, 580, 581, 582, 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592, 593, 594, 595, 596, 597, 598, 599, 600, 601, 602, 603, 604, 605, 606, 607, 608, 609, 610, 611, 612, 613, 614, 615, 616, 617, 618, 619, 620, 621, 622, 623, 624, 625, 626, 627, 628, 629, 630, 631, 632, 633, 634, 635, 636, 637, 638, 639, 640, 641, 642, 643, 644, 645, 646, 647, 648, 649, 650, 651, 652, 653, 654, 655, 656, 657, 658, 659, 660, 661, 662, 663, 664, 665, 666, 667, 668, 669, 670, 671, 672, 673, 674, 675, 676, 677, 678, 679, 680, 681, 682, 683, 684, 685, 686, 687, 688, 689, 690, 691, 692, 693, 694, 695, 696, 697, 698, 699, 700, 701, 702, 703, 704, 705, 706, 707, 708, 709, 710, 711, 712, 713, 714, 715, 716, 717, 718, 719, 720, 721, 722, 723, 724, 725, 726, 727, 728, 729, 730, 731, 732, 733, 734, 735, 736, 737, 738, 739, 740, 741, 742, 743, 744, 745, 746, 747, 748, 749, 750, 751, 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 760, 761, 762, 763, 764, 765, 766, 767, 768, 769, 770, 771, 772, 773, 774, 775, 776, 777, 778, 779, 780, 781, 782, 783, 784, 785, 786, 787, 788, 789, 790, 791, 792, 793, 794, 795, 796, 797, 798, 799, 800, 801, 802, 803, 804, 805, 806, 807, 808, 809, 810, 811, 812, 813, 814, 815, 816, 817, 818, 819, 820, 821, 822, 823, 824, 825, 826, 827, 828, 829, 830, 831, 832, 833, 834, 835, 836, 837, 838, 839, 840, 841, 842, 843, 844, 845, 846, 847, 848, 849, 850, 851, 852, 853, 854, 855, 856, 857, 858, 859, 860, 861, 862, 863, 864, 865, 866, 867, 868, 869, 870, 871, 872, 873, 874, 875, 876, 877, 878, 879, 880, 881, 882, 883, 884, 885, 886, 887, 888, 889, 890, 891, 892, 893, 894, 895, 896, 897, 898, 899, 900, 901, 902, 903, 904, 905, 906, 907, 908, 909, 910, 911, 912, 913, 914, 915, 916, 917, 918, 919, 920, 921, 922, 923, 924, 925, 926, 927, 928, 929, 930, 931, 932, 933, 934, 935, 936, 937, 938, 939, 940, 941, 942, 943, 944, 945, 946, 947, 948, 949, 950, 951, 952, 953, 954, 955, 956, 957, 958, 959, 960, 961, 962, 963, 964, 965, 966, 967, 968, 969, 970, 971, 972, 973, 974, 975, 976, 977, 978, 979, 980, 981, 982, 983, 984, 985, 986, 987, 988, 989, 990, 991, 992, 993, 994, 995, 996, 997, 998, 999, 1000, 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 1005, 1006, 1007, 1008, 1009, 1010, 1011, 1012, 1013, 1014, 1015, 1016, 1017, 1018, 1019, 1020, 1021, 1022, 1023, 1024, 1025, 1026, 1027, 1028, 1029, 1030, 1031, 1032, 1033, 1034, 1035, 1036, 1037, 1038, 1039, 1040, 1041, 1042, 1043, 1044, 1045, 1046, 1047, 1048, 1049, 1050, 1051, 1052, 1053, 1054, 1055, 1056, 1057, 1058, 1059, 1060, 1061, 1062, 1063, 1064, 1065, 1066, 1067, 1068, 1069, 1070, 1071, 1072, 1073, 1074, 1075, 1076, 1077, 1078, 1079, 1080, 1081, 1082, 1083, 1084, 1085, 1086, 1087, 1088, 1089, 1090, 1091, 1092, 1093, 1094, 1095, 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099, 1100, 1101, 1102, 1103, 1104, 1105, 1106, 1107, 1108, 1109, 1110, 1111, 1112, 1113, 1114, 1115, 1116, 1117, 1118, 1119, 1120, 1121, 1122, 1123, 1124, 1125, 1126, 1127, 1128, 1129, 1130, 1131, 1132, 1133, 1134, 1135, 1136, 1137, 1138, 1139, 1140, 1141, 1142, 1143, 1144, 1145, 1146, 1147, 1148, 1149, 1150, 1151, 1152, 1153, 1154, 1155, 1156, 1157, 1158, 1159, 1160, 1161, 1162, 1163, 1164, 1165, 1166, 1167, 1168, 1169, 1170, 1171, 1172, 1173, 1174, 1175, 1176, 1177, 1178, 1179, 1180, 1181, 1182, 1183, 1184, 1185, 1186, 1187, 1188, 1189, 1190, 1191, 1192, 1193, 1194, 1195, 1196, 1197, 1198, 1199, 1200, 1201, 1202, 1203, 1204, 1205, 1206, 1207, 1208, 1209, 1210, 1211, 1212, 1213, 1214, 1215, 1216, 1217, 1218, 1219, 1220, 1221, 1222, 1223, 1224, 1225, 1226, 1227, 1228, 1229, 1230, 1231, 1232, 1233, 1234, 1235, 1236, 1237, 1238, 1239, 1240, 1241, 1242, 1243, 1244, 1245, 1246, 1247, 1248, 1249, 1250, 1251, 1252, 1253, 1254, 1255, 1256, 1257, 1258, 1259, 1260, 1261, 1262, 1263, 1264, 1265, 1266, 1267, 1268, 1269, 1270, 1271, 1272, 1273, 1274, 1275, 1276, 1277, 1278, 1279, 1280, 1281, 1282, 1283, 1284, 1285, 1286, 1287, 1288, 1289, 1290, 1291, 1292, 1293, 1294, 1295, 1296, 1297, 1298, 1299, 1300, 1301, 1302, 1303, 1304, 1305, 1306, 1307, 1308, 1309, 1310, 1311, 1312, 1313, 1314, 1315, 1316, 1317, 1318, 1319, 1320, 1321, 1322, 1323, 1324, 1325, 1326, 1327, 1328, 1329, 1330, 1331, 1332, 1333, 1334, 1335, 1336, 1337, 1338, 1339, 1340, 1341, 1342, 1343, 1344, 1345, 1346, 1347, 1348, 1349, 1350, 1351, 1352, 1353, 1354, 1355, 1356, 1357, 1358, 1359, 1360, 1361, 1362, 1363, 1364, 1365, 1366, 1367, 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372, 1373, 1374, 1375, 1376, 1377, 1378, 1379, 1380, 1381, 1382, 1383, 1384, 1385, 1386, 1387, 1388, 1389  Next