1) Bob McKenzie tweeted this morning that the NHL's hub city candidates are down to Las Vegas, Chicago, Toronto and Edmonton. He noted that today is a vital one for the NHL/NHLPA negotiations both on Phase 4 of the return-to-play plan and the long-term extension of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement. McKenzie was uncertain if any announcements would be forthcoming today, at least in regard to the hub cities.
2) Unlike their counterparts from most other countries, Swedish NHL players who returned home during Phase 1 of the league pause had access to rinks and gym facilities during their months back at home. One such player was Flyers defenseman Robert Hägg, who discussed this and other topics related to the stoppage and preparing to return.
3) Apart from being a six-time scorer of 21 to 36 goals at the NHL level, Flyers left winger James van Riemsdyk is also one of the sport's truly good guys off the ice. Recently, Flyers senior director of communications Zack Hill passed along to JVR a story about how a young diehard Flyers fan named Aiden had to have his 4th birthday party canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic and it was his biggest wish to have a Flyer come to his party.
JVR did the next best thing. He filmed a personal happy 4th birthday message for the young boy. Need something to smile about today? Check out the video of Aiden's reaction when his mom, Tish, played him the video of JVR's message. Happy birthday, Aiden!
Speaking of JVR, the Flyers forward took part in You Can Play's virtual Pride Day this past Saturday. He joined with Canadian tennis player Sharon Fichman, Olympic gold medalist figure skater Dylan Moscovitch and Jeremy Sonkin (LGBTQ+ professional tennis player) to discuss a variety of topics related to diversity and support for fellow athletes of all sexual and gender identities.
4) Flyers Alum Lindsay Carson's son, filmmaker Matt Carson, has created a hockey-related mini series called "The Pond">. The debut episode of the 3-part series premiered on Youtube last night. There will be a new episode each week.
5) Looking for a fun little diversion for a few minutes today? Here's one for "old time" hockey fans out there: Vote on Twitter in the "Bob Probert Invitational" by @4thlineVoice. Among the Flyers Alumni in the "tourney" are Dave Brown, Craig Berube, Sandy McCarthy, Glen Cochrane and Todd Fedoruk. Fridge is currently locked in a tough battle with Shane Churla, with the vote just about at 50-50.