Quick Hits: August 18, 2022
1) The quarterfinal round of the 2022 IIHf World Junior Championship ended with a massive upset at Czechia stunned previously unbeaten Team USA, 4-2. Earlier in the day, Sweden nipped a pesky Team Latvia 2-1, Finland pulled away from Germany in the third period of a 5-2 final and Canada worked around some sloppy play and an injury to Ridly Greig to defeat Switzerland by a 6-3 score.
All four participating Flyers prospects got on the scoresheet in their respective semifinqal games. Defenseman Emil Andrae broke a 1-1 tie in the third period against Latvia, scoring off a faceoff after a Latvian icing for what proved to be the winning goal.
Tyson Foerster tallied from the bottom of the right circle to open the scoring early in the Canada vs. Switzerland game and later added a second period assist. Brian Zanetti assisted on the Swiss goal that briefly tied the game at 1-1, as it was Zanetti's point shot that Simon Knak deflected into the net. On Canada's fourth goal of the first period, Nathan Gaucher tapped in the loose rebound of an Elliot Desnoyers shot. Desnoyers later moved up from the fourth line to the third in substituting for the injured Greig.
The medal round semifinals, Canada will play the Czechs and Sweden will play archrival Finland.
2) On PhiladelphiaFlyers.com, I took a pre-QF look at how Andrae has excelled so far
at the tournament. Apart from scoring the winning goal (his fourth tally of the tourney) in Wednesday's quarterfinal against Latvia, Andrae made a key defensive stop and cleared the puck in the final minute of the game. Earlier, he recovered from an up-ice miscue to get back and break up a potential shorthanded breakaway for Latvia.
3) Isaac Ratcliffe is the guest on the current edition of Flyers Daily. The huge-framed winger talks about his summer workout program, his new contract and the need to prove to the organization and new head coach John Tortorella that he can stake down a regular NHL spot as he enters his fourth pro season. To listen to the 17-minute conversation, click here
4) In memoriam: Hockey Hall of Fame forward Dale Hawerchuk, who finished his stellar career with one and a quarter season with the Flyers, passed away two years today at the age of 57 following a long battle with cancer.
5) Today in Flyers History: On Aug. 18, 2020, the Flyers took a three games to one lead in the Eastern Conference quarterfinal with a 2-0 victory over the Montreal Canadiens in the bubble in Toronto. Carter Hart led the way with a 29-save shutout; his second straight blanking of the Habs. Michael Raffl opened the scoring at 6:32 of the first period before Phil Myers added an insurance goal at 17:04 of the middle frame.