With the league on its All-Star break, here are some rapid-fire thoughts on the game itself, its future, and anything else that’s crossed my mind this week...
- I actually think that the NHL has hit a home run with this three-on-three style. I mean, it’s the most entertaining brand of hockey, and it opens the door for the creativity you want to see on this stage.
- Do away with the idea of every team getting a rep. If your team sucks and you don’t have anybody worthy, that’s on you. I’m all about making organizations feel shame. That’s the only way to change their behavior. If I had it my way, the Oilers would’ve been relegated to the ECHL a decade ago for their offensive displays to such loyal fans. (OK, fiiiiiine, the AHL until they won a Calder Cup.)
- All-Star Games aren’t for us. They’re just not. They’re for children, corporate sponsors, and quick eating. The sooner we accept that, the better off we’ll be. I’ll be honest, one of the best memories of my childhood was when the MLB All-Star Game came to Boston in 1999. I went to every FanFest event possible, camped out behind the Green Monster. All that. Some kid will walk away from this year’s fun with similar memories. So who the hell cares about snubs, locations, and what not?
- Sticking with the Boston theme (y’all know me), don’t be surprised if Boston tries to get the All-Star Game and the NHL Draft when they celebrate their centennial. The multi-year renovations to TD Garden will be done around then, and the organization hasn’t shied away from the fact that many of their renovations were done with the hopes of attracting leaguewide events back to The Hub.
- I do miss that quick little run where it was North America against the World. That was fun. Bring it back in some form other than your terrible World Cup of Hockey nonsense.
- Quick trade deadline predictions: Tyler Toffoli to the Bruins, Chris Kreider stays with New York, and J.G. Pageau to the Penguins. I pulled these out of a hat, so take it with a grain of salt.
- Oh, by the way: Somebody on the internet floated out some ‘Miami Vice’ styled jerseys for the 2021 All-Star Game and I love everything about it. Let’s make it happen.
Ty Anderson is a writer, columnist, and weird personality for 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston, where he covers all things Boston sports. He has been covering the National Hockey League for HockeyBuzz.com since 2010, and has also been part of the Boston Chapter of the PHWA since 2013. He will not give you his email, so yell at him on Twitter (@_TyAnderson).