Wanna blog? Start your own hockey blog with My HockeyBuzz. Register for free today!

Forums :: New York Islanders :: Will the Islanders make the playoffs?
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Aug 15 @ 5:38 PM ET
We're finally going to find out. If the team does play well it will make Snow and Weight look even more stupid (if that's possible).
- JimmyP

Not possible
PeteM
New York Islanders

Aug 15 @ 7:57 PM ET
EK is back on the Isles and Karlsson and Patches.
- ses111

Slow time of the year. Gotta get those clicks.
Upstate_isles
New York Islanders

Aug 15 @ 8:53 PM ET
Ladies I present barry Trotz

And also getting out some of the clutter. There’s going to be change. It’s going to be structurally, on and off the ice, expectations are going to change. Nothing against any former regimes, but we have our own vision of what we want to do, how we’re going to do it. Lou has painted a good picture of where he wants this organization to go and I want to be a part of it. On the ice, I have a vision of how we can play to be better.

This team can score, with John Tavares or without John Tavares. The area it’s failed in maybe the last year and a half is on the defensive end. Just looking at the trends over the last four years, it’s clear that’s an area we need to fix. The great thing about the game, one of the hardest things to do in this league is create offense and score goals. This team has been able to do that in the last four years.

One of the easiest things to correct, if there’s a commitment and a buy-in, is keeping the puck out of your net. We’ll need a bigger buy-in, we’ll put some structure, we’ll make sure the details are there and we’ll make players accountable. If they’re not, we’ll get someone who can be accountable. And we’ve got to build our players. We’ve got some unfinished products who can certainly be better. Get them to play to their capabilities, that’s all we ask. We want them to be consistent and play to their capabilities, we never ask guys to do more than they’re capable of.

That’s one of the things we were able to do in Washington. In the four years we were there, we became a pretty consistent team. After the first 20 games of my first year, we became a consistent team that didn’t go into six or seven-game slides. We lost one game and the next game was the most important game of the season, then we moved in. I didn’t look at 10-game segments, I looked at the week ahead and how many points we needed to get. And I didn’t care how we got them.
nyisles7
New York Islanders

Aug 15 @ 9:49 PM ET
I don't discount the possibility that any of these players could be better in a real system. How many times have you guys heard me say 'I want to see what this team could do with a real coach?' It's just a simple fact that with the coaches and culture of the past that potential may not have been achieved by a lot of these guys. They were allowed to just skate (sorry for the pun) by with no repercussions or accountability. Unless you were a young player. Then you sat because a vet screwed up.
- Isleshockeyman

Totally agree IHM.
nyisles7
New York Islanders

Aug 15 @ 9:52 PM ET

And also getting out some of the clutter. There’s going to be change. It’s going to be structurally, on and off the ice, expectations are going to change. Nothing against any former regimes, but we have our own vision of what we want to do, how we’re going to do it. Lou has painted a good picture of where he wants this organization to go and I want to be a part of it. On the ice, I have a vision of how we can play to be better.

This team can score, with John Tavares or without John Tavares. The area it’s failed in maybe the last year and a half is on the defensive end. Just looking at the trends over the last four years, it’s clear that’s an area we need to fix. The great thing about the game, one of the hardest things to do in this league is create offense and score goals. This team has been able to do that in the last four years.

One of the easiest things to correct, if there’s a commitment and a buy-in, is keeping the puck out of your net. We’ll need a bigger buy-in, we’ll put some structure, we’ll make sure the details are there and we’ll make players accountable. If they’re not, we’ll get someone who can be accountable. And we’ve got to build our players. We’ve got some unfinished products who can certainly be better. Get them to play to their capabilities, that’s all we ask. We want them to be consistent and play to their capabilities, we never ask guys to do more than they’re capable of.

That’s one of the things we were able to do in Washington. In the four years we were there, we became a pretty consistent team. After the first 20 games of my first year, we became a consistent team that didn’t go into six or seven-game slides. We lost one game and the next game was the most important game of the season, then we moved in. I didn’t look at 10-game segments, I looked at the week ahead and how many points we needed to get. And I didn’t care how we got them.

- Upstate_isles

Totally excited to see him put a defense first system into this team

Resembles a post I wrote about Trotz
ses111
New York Islanders

Aug 15 @ 9:55 PM ET

- Upstate_isles

Such a breath of fresh air. Let's get this season started. Thanks Upstate!
Isleshockeyman

Aug 16 @ 9:01 AM ET

- Upstate_isles

Sure it's not, Barry.
Love it. Can't wait to see what he does!
niteislander
New York Islanders

Aug 16 @ 9:19 AM ET

- Upstate_isles

This post might be my favorite post ever on this site.... been waiting for so long for us to have a real coach who would implement a defensive system.
UIF
New York Islanders

Aug 16 @ 2:05 PM ET

- Upstate_isles

Loved that article in the Athletic...even if I did recoil with flashbacks a bit when he used the term "due diligence"
potvin05
New York Islanders

Aug 16 @ 3:30 PM ET

- Upstate_isles

Upstate_isles
New York Islanders

Aug 16 @ 5:49 PM ET
Loved that article in the Athletic...even if I did recoil with flashbacks a bit when he used the term "due diligence"
- UIF

I like that he said its easy be accountable or we will find someone that is. Actually I like everything that he said
nyisles7
New York Islanders

Aug 16 @ 8:52 PM ET
I like that he said its easy be accountable or we will find someone that is. Actually I like everything that he said
- Upstate_isles

Trotz is exactly what this team needed
Upstate_isles
New York Islanders

Aug 16 @ 9:58 PM ET
Trotz is exactly what this team needed
- nyisles7

Yea i agree a legit coach that proven and respected
JimmyP
New York Islanders

Aug 16 @ 11:31 PM ET
- Upstate_isles

I honestly have no idea what to expect next season. They could be a bottom 5 team or they could be a bubble team. I'm not expecting a whole lot, but at least the country club is gone. It will be interesting how the players respond. I'll be happy if they sweep the Leafs.
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Aug 17 @ 8:31 AM ET
- Upstate_isles

Absolutely. Culture change was the most important thing for this team before anything else was done.
nyisles7
New York Islanders

Aug 17 @ 9:39 AM ET
Absolutely. Culture change was the most important thing for this team before anything else was done.
- Cptmjl

Agreed Cpt. And that began with Lou and continued with the Trotz hiring.

ses111
New York Islanders

Aug 17 @ 9:52 AM ET
- nyisles7

I have to hope vets will not just get a free pass and young players will sit to protect vets.
nyisles7
New York Islanders

Aug 17 @ 10:16 AM ET
I have to hope vets will not just get a free pass and young players will sit to protect vets.
- ses111

Not happening Ses. New Shiriff and Deputy Sheriff in town.
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Aug 17 @ 10:20 AM ET
- nyisles7

I love the talk believe me but as an islander fan I need to see it. I’m not doubting it completely but I’ve heard all this same shat for the last going on thirty years. We all need to see results. I think we have a good shot of that with this crew BUT I need to see action.
ses111
New York Islanders

Aug 17 @ 10:31 AM ET
Not happening Ses. New Shiriff and Deputy Sheriff in town.

- nyisles7

This would be great 7. Love the idea it's on the players now since the coaching will be top notch.
ses111
New York Islanders

Aug 17 @ 10:33 AM ET
I love the talk believe me but as an islander fan I need to see it. I’m not doubting it completely but I’ve heard all this same shat for the last going on thirty years. We all need to see results. I think we have a good shot of that with this crew BUT I need to see action.
- Cptmjl

I'm hopeful because this is the first coach since Ted Nolan with a proven record. Roster needs improvement but the coaching staff is very good.
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Aug 17 @ 10:56 AM ET
I'm hopeful because this is the first coach since Ted Nolan with a proven record. Roster needs improvement but the coaching staff is very good.
- ses111

Gomez I’m not to certain on but I’ll assume he’s not going to be offering much input he’s just there to learn the position and is only still there due to his ties to Lou in the past(which I’m honestly not to happy about due to our past GM’s nepotism). Thompson remaining I’m having a hard time understanding why he’s still around but as far as the big club I’m confident with our coaching staff more so since forever. Like everyone else I’m excited to see what Trotz can do with the team.
nyisles7
New York Islanders

Aug 17 @ 11:10 AM ET
- Cptmjl

So obviously we wont see any on ice results yet, however there ha e been incredible changes to the organization and the whole culture of the support staff.
I agree with you that we have heard this before however we have heard it from rookie Coaches, GMs and truly unproven’s At the NHL level. I know I’m a half full type guy, like you Cpt. and have a feeling the on ice product will be more consistent and tougher to play against.

Again if they can keep the puck out of their zone/net I believe they have the talent to score and maybe surprise us all.
ses111
New York Islanders

Aug 17 @ 11:10 AM ET
Gomez I’m not to certain on but I’ll assume he’s not going to be offering much input he’s just there to learn the position and is only still there due to his ties to Lou in the past(which I’m honestly not to happy about due to our past GM’s nepotism). Thompson remaining I’m having a hard time understanding why he’s still around but as far as the big club I’m confident with our coaching staff more so since forever. Like everyone else I’m excited to see what Trotz can do with the team.
- Cptmjl

Gomez I'm not worried about at all. I'm still shocked about Thompson. Barry still has a very good staff in place and I thought he had one more hire to go?

Deleted Post []
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379, 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433, 434, 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451, 452, 453, 454, 455, 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463, 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469, 470, 471, 472, 473, 474, 475, 476, 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498, 499, 500, 501, 502, 503, 504, 505, 506, 507, 508, 509, 510, 511, 512, 513, 514, 515, 516, 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522, 523, 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530, 531, 532, 533, 534, 535, 536, 537, 538, 539, 540, 541, 542, 543, 544, 545, 546, 547, 548, 549, 550, 551, 552, 553, 554, 555, 556, 557, 558, 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 565, 566, 567, 568, 569, 570, 571, 572, 573, 574, 575, 576, 577, 578, 579, 580, 581, 582, 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592, 593, 594, 595, 596, 597, 598, 599, 600, 601, 602, 603, 604, 605, 606, 607, 608, 609, 610, 611, 612, 613, 614, 615, 616, 617, 618, 619, 620, 621, 622, 623, 624, 625, 626, 627, 628, 629, 630, 631, 632, 633, 634, 635, 636, 637, 638, 639, 640, 641, 642, 643, 644, 645, 646, 647, 648, 649, 650, 651, 652, 653, 654, 655, 656, 657, 658, 659, 660, 661, 662, 663, 664, 665, 666, 667, 668, 669, 670, 671, 672, 673, 674, 675, 676, 677, 678, 679, 680, 681, 682, 683, 684, 685, 686, 687, 688, 689, 690, 691, 692, 693, 694, 695, 696, 697, 698, 699, 700, 701, 702, 703, 704, 705, 706, 707, 708, 709, 710, 711, 712, 713, 714, 715, 716, 717, 718, 719, 720, 721, 722, 723, 724, 725, 726, 727, 728, 729, 730, 731, 732, 733, 734, 735, 736, 737, 738, 739, 740, 741, 742, 743, 744, 745, 746, 747, 748, 749, 750, 751, 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 760, 761, 762, 763, 764, 765, 766, 767, 768, 769, 770, 771, 772, 773, 774, 775, 776, 777, 778, 779, 780, 781, 782, 783, 784, 785, 786, 787, 788, 789, 790, 791, 792, 793, 794, 795, 796, 797, 798, 799, 800, 801, 802, 803, 804, 805, 806, 807, 808, 809, 810, 811, 812, 813, 814, 815, 816, 817, 818, 819, 820, 821, 822, 823, 824, 825, 826, 827, 828, 829, 830, 831, 832, 833, 834, 835, 836, 837, 838, 839, 840, 841, 842, 843, 844, 845, 846, 847, 848, 849, 850, 851, 852, 853, 854, 855, 856, 857, 858, 859, 860, 861, 862, 863, 864, 865, 866, 867, 868, 869, 870, 871, 872, 873, 874, 875, 876, 877, 878, 879, 880, 881, 882, 883, 884, 885, 886, 887, 888, 889, 890, 891, 892, 893, 894, 895, 896, 897, 898, 899, 900, 901, 902, 903, 904, 905, 906, 907, 908, 909, 910, 911, 912, 913, 914, 915, 916, 917, 918, 919, 920, 921, 922, 923, 924, 925, 926, 927, 928, 929, 930, 931, 932, 933, 934, 935, 936, 937, 938, 939, 940, 941, 942, 943, 944, 945, 946, 947, 948, 949, 950, 951, 952, 953, 954, 955, 956, 957, 958, 959, 960, 961, 962, 963, 964, 965, 966, 967, 968, 969, 970, 971, 972, 973, 974, 975, 976, 977, 978, 979, 980, 981, 982, 983, 984, 985, 986, 987, 988, 989, 990, 991, 992, 993, 994, 995, 996, 997, 998, 999, 1000, 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 1005, 1006, 1007, 1008, 1009, 1010, 1011, 1012, 1013, 1014, 1015, 1016, 1017, 1018, 1019, 1020, 1021, 1022, 1023, 1024, 1025, 1026, 1027, 1028, 1029, 1030, 1031, 1032, 1033, 1034, 1035, 1036, 1037, 1038, 1039, 1040, 1041, 1042, 1043, 1044, 1045, 1046, 1047, 1048, 1049, 1050, 1051, 1052, 1053, 1054, 1055, 1056, 1057, 1058, 1059, 1060, 1061, 1062, 1063, 1064, 1065, 1066, 1067, 1068, 1069, 1070, 1071, 1072, 1073, 1074, 1075, 1076, 1077, 1078, 1079, 1080, 1081, 1082, 1083, 1084, 1085, 1086, 1087, 1088, 1089, 1090, 1091, 1092, 1093, 1094, 1095, 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099, 1100, 1101, 1102, 1103, 1104, 1105, 1106, 1107, 1108, 1109, 1110, 1111, 1112, 1113, 1114, 1115, 1116, 1117, 1118, 1119, 1120, 1121, 1122, 1123, 1124, 1125, 1126, 1127, 1128, 1129, 1130, 1131, 1132, 1133, 1134, 1135, 1136, 1137, 1138, 1139, 1140, 1141, 1142, 1143, 1144, 1145, 1146, 1147, 1148, 1149, 1150, 1151, 1152, 1153, 1154, 1155, 1156, 1157, 1158, 1159, 1160, 1161, 1162, 1163, 1164, 1165, 1166, 1167, 1168, 1169, 1170, 1171, 1172, 1173, 1174, 1175, 1176, 1177, 1178, 1179, 1180, 1181, 1182, 1183, 1184, 1185, 1186, 1187, 1188, 1189, 1190, 1191, 1192, 1193, 1194, 1195, 1196, 1197, 1198, 1199, 1200, 1201, 1202, 1203, 1204, 1205, 1206, 1207, 1208, 1209, 1210, 1211, 1212, 1213, 1214, 1215, 1216, 1217, 1218, 1219, 1220, 1221, 1222, 1223, 1224, 1225, 1226, 1227, 1228, 1229, 1230, 1231, 1232, 1233, 1234, 1235, 1236, 1237, 1238, 1239, 1240, 1241, 1242, 1243, 1244, 1245, 1246, 1247, 1248, 1249, 1250, 1251, 1252, 1253, 1254, 1255, 1256, 1257, 1258, 1259, 1260, 1261, 1262, 1263, 1264, 1265, 1266, 1267, 1268, 1269, 1270, 1271, 1272, 1273, 1274, 1275, 1276, 1277, 1278, 1279, 1280, 1281, 1282, 1283, 1284, 1285, 1286, 1287, 1288, 1289, 1290, 1291, 1292, 1293, 1294, 1295, 1296, 1297, 1298, 1299, 1300, 1301, 1302, 1303, 1304, 1305, 1306, 1307, 1308, 1309, 1310, 1311, 1312, 1313, 1314, 1315, 1316, 1317, 1318, 1319, 1320, 1321, 1322, 1323, 1324, 1325, 1326, 1327, 1328, 1329, 1330, 1331, 1332, 1333, 1334, 1335, 1336, 1337, 1338, 1339, 1340, 1341, 1342, 1343, 1344, 1345, 1346, 1347, 1348, 1349, 1350, 1351, 1352, 1353, 1354, 1355, 1356, 1357, 1358, 1359, 1360, 1361, 1362, 1363, 1364, 1365, 1366, 1367, 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372, 1373, 1374, 1375, 1376, 1377, 1378, 1379, 1380, 1381, 1382, 1383, 1384, 1385, 1386, 1387, 1388, 1389, 1390  Next