Wanna blog? Start your own hockey blog with My HockeyBuzz. Register for free today!

Forums :: New York Islanders :: Will the Islanders make the playoffs?
Upstate_isles
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 7:37 AM ET
Lou should have gotten a pick with Martin for clearing cap space, we took a guy that sat the last 30 games and playoffs off their hands and we let him go 2 years ago because we didn't want to pay him that much yet here we are paying him that much on the hope he can reignite two other over paid guys. All these people are saying lou is building this team Vegas style but Vegas plays with tons of speed and forces turnovers in the neutral zone and scores off transition. The isles may have gotten slower so unless we are bringing the trap back how is this team playing with speed?
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 7:42 AM ET
Lou should have gotten a pick with Martin for clearing cap space, we took a guy that sat the last 30 games and playoffs off their hands and we let him go 2 years ago because we didn't want to pay him that much yet here we are paying him that much on the hope he can reignite two other over paid guys. All these people are saying lou is building this team Vegas style but Vegas plays with tons of speed and forces turnovers in the neutral zone and scores off transition. The isles may have gotten slower so unless we are bringing the trap back how is this team playing with speed?
- Upstate_isles

This team is about as different as can be to Vegas people comparing the islanders to them is laughable. Adding duchene and or a player like Pacerrioty would be huge but at what cost and with the recent signings and cap implications on bottom 6 players how does this even work? We still have to sign Pulock we have 18.5 in space I believe at this point after taking on Martin's contract.
Upstate_isles
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 7:53 AM ET
This team is about as different as can be to Vegas people comparing the islanders to them is laughable. Adding duchene and or a player like Pacerrioty would be huge but at what cost and with the recent signings and cap implications on bottom 6 players how does this even work? We still have to sign Pulock we have 18.5 in space I believe at this point after taking on Martin's contract.
- Cptmjl

19.5 but I read from a cap guy that if they sign him and Nelson they still have like 12 million left so they can get two more guys, if they get patches or duchene see ya Nelson. As for the Vegas thing I see some of it like players playing a very specific role under a good coach but the isles arent fast and more than likely it's people realizing they didn't have a superstar and neither do we so let's make a comparison

Here is the cap thing this is before Martin and lehner so take 4 million off this

For more clarity on their cap situation, we can add in Matt Cane’s Free Agent Predictions for their NHL-level restricted free agents. With Ryan Pulock signed to a two-year deal with an average annual value of $1.8 million, the Islanders would then have approximately $57.5 million cumulative cap hit and about $22 million in cap space. If Brock Nelson is extended, and not traded, Cane has him signing a four-year deal with an AAV of $4.3 million, leaving the Islanders with just under $17.7 million in cap space
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 8:01 AM ET
19.5 but I read from a cap guy that if they sign him and Nelson they still have like 12 million left so they can get two more guys, if they get patches or duchene see ya Nelson. As for the Vegas thing I see some of it like players playing a very specific role under a good coach but the isles arent fast and more than likely it's people realizing they didn't have a superstar and neither do we so let's make a comparison
- Upstate_isles

Yep that's the analogy as incorrect as it is. There would need to be salary dumped to make any of this happen. Have no idea where Lou is going with this it's been a strange few days.
Isles_since_6
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 9:35 AM ET
This franchise has been rebuilding for decades. I’m tired of the talk of tanking again. Frankly, I’m tired of following a franchise that constantly stumbles over itself and falls two steps back every time they take a step forward. These signings are what we’ve seen for a long long time. Picking up scraps from whatever’s left over. Not sure I have the patience to keep doing this. We now have more 4th line players than top 6 players and the defense isn’t any better. Neither is the goaltending. They’ve now eaten up over 1/3 of their available cap space without adding anything significant.
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 9:39 AM ET
This franchise has been rebuilding for decades. I’m tired of the talk of tanking again. Frankly, I’m tired of following a franchise that constantly stumbles over itself and falls two steps back every time they take a step forward. These signings are what we’ve seen for a long long time. Picking up scraps from whatever’s left over. Not sure I have the patience to keep doing this. We now have more 4th line players than top 6 players and the defense isn’t any better. Neither is the goaltending. They’ve now eaten up over 1/3 of their available cap space without adding anything significant.
- Isles_since_6

Exactly how I feel unfortunately. More disappointed then I have been in a while because I was expecting something better with the management change. Seems like we're back to square one here incredibly frustrating to watch. I can't imagine going the rebuild route but if this is lameriello's idea of a competitive team so far I'll question his judgment at this point. Looks like a rebuild whether that's his intention or not.
Upstate_isles
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 9:53 AM ET
- Isles_since_6

No one wants a rebuild that's for sure but they cant land any actual good players currently, the only good thing is they haven't dumped all their prospects yet
UIF
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 10:20 AM ET
Can we really refer to $2.5m as an albatross? I think that's a bit over the top. Martin's being a healthy scratch with TO last year may be more of a system/team need thing than reflection of his usefulness. Sure I would have loved for us to have gotten more in the deal but as i said, i don't see it as a big deal. If that 4th line can get that chemistry back and we add a dman and skill forward, i still say this team can be better. Let's give Lou some time here.
- keaner17

By itself, no, but in combination with the other contracts on the Isles' books, it's one more overpayment for another player who's not matched to that value. If it doesn't bite them this season, it may next season when you have to re-sign Beau and you're thinking about Barzal's extension, etc. Lou's been good in the past with moving a bad contract or two, but it's a lot to ask when they keep piling more bad contracts on top of the ones Snow left behind.

(Welcome back, by the way )
UIF
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 10:25 AM ET
Exactly how I feel unfortunately. More disappointed then I have been in a while because I was expecting something better with the management change. Seems like we're back to square one here incredibly frustrating to watch. I can't imagine going the rebuild route but if this is lameriello's idea of a competitive team so far I'll question his judgment at this point. Looks like a rebuild whether that's his intention or not.
- Cptmjl

I'm thinking it might be the opposite. With the Isles' team D so horrendous last season, I think Lou's trying to build a bottom six/bottom three-D of role players he thinks can be more responsible. Then he'll try to land a bigger fish once that's done. But it's just a lot of money going out the door for what should be $1.5m and under positions, and it's overkill on the types of players being brought in.
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 10:51 AM ET
I'm thinking it might be the opposite. With the Isles' team D so horrendous last season, I think Lou's trying to build a bottom six/bottom three-D of role players he thinks can be more responsible. Then he'll try to land a bigger fish once that's done. But it's just a lot of money going out the door for what should be $1.5m and under positions, and it's overkill on the types of players being brought in.
- UIF

I see the direction toward leadership guys and defense but Martin blows defensively, Fippila 4 years ago fit that description and is no a pile of junk and Komorov statistically is a mess along with the other two. Cap space is flying out on this garbage then you have to try and convince these upper tier players there's a direction to all of this. Pardon me for having zero faith in any of it
Upstate_isles
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 10:51 AM ET
- UIF

Well here's this and the article that shows how they come up with it, all very complex but
https://www.wingingitinmo...__twitter_impression=true

In bringing in Komarov, Lehner, Kuhnhackl, Filppula, and Martin, the Islanders brought in players who in total brought their teams negative $2.02M in value. They will pay these players $10.4M this season. https://t.co/qw0UW7ZAyK

So basically bringing in replacement players at the league minimum would have been better [/img]
kindlyrick
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 10:55 AM ET
I see the direction toward leadership guys and defense but Martin blows defensively, Fippila 4 years ago fit that description and is no a pile of junk and Komorov statistically is a mess along with the other two. Cap space is flying out on this garbage then you have to try and convince these upper tier players there's a direction to all of this. Pardon me for having zero faith in any of it
- Cptmjl

Truth is they’re gonna suck for a few years. Nothing we’re not used to. At least they have a direction that’s led by experience. I wouldn’t trade the youth at this point. They don’t wanna say but they’re gonna re build.
ses111
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 11:04 AM ET
Well here's this and the article that shows how they come up with it, all very complex but

In bringing in Komarov, Lehner, Kuhnhackl, Filppula, and Martin, the Islanders brought in players who in total brought their teams negative $2.02M in value. They will pay these players $10.4M this season. https://t.co/qw0UW7ZAyK

So basically bringing in replacement players at the league minimum would have been better

- Upstate_isles[/img]

Honestly was probably better brining back Quine and Prince on one year deals and see if Trotz could get anything out of them. Signing Filppul and Kuhnhackl to one year deals is fine, but Komarov and Hickey to 4 is bizarre.
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 11:05 AM ET

So basically bringing in replacement players at the league minimum would have been better

- Upstate_isles[/img]

Absolute waste of cap space.

Make a play for Dougie Hamilton which would have shored up our defense.

Dont sign hickey to four years. Four (frank)ing years I still can't wrap my head around that one that has to be Snow.

Go for Pacceriotty. Make a play for him.

Try to land Duchene.

Doing this make us competitive with out tavares maybe even better. Doing this or some of it I should say makes Karrlson think twice about saying no. Signing and trading for the crap we did makes us the most unattractive team in the league. It doesn't only make zero sense to me

The attitude shouldn't be well we lost tavares everything is done let's lose. This team has been losing since the 90's can't keep doing it expecting change. To me, so far this is the same old crap picking off the trash heap the only difference is we're overpaying for the garbage. It's time for change supposedly but I'm not seeing it I'm seeing total dysfunction and what looks like another losing team.
Jethro09
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 11:27 AM ET
I think tavares walking killed them and the arena. They need to build around barzal and keep their high picks and hope by Belmont they are getting better and have a new arena. If lou is still here and Trotz they will have all boxes checked for free agents but at this moment they are slightly less of a tire fire than the sens
- Upstate_isles

Bottom line- until the stench that is in this team is cleansed by winning consistently and a stable home arena situation, no good UFAs are going to sign with the isles. So either they make trades for great players and get them to sign extensions, which doesn’t seem possible, or the go young through the draft. They don’t have any other options. JT walking away was a huge blow. I can’t remember a team losing their superstar entering his prime as a free agent. That only happens because the isles are not a desirable place to play. That must change
Upstate_isles
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 11:29 AM ET
Bottom line- until the stench that is in this team is cleansed by winning consistently and a stable home arena situation, no good UFAs are going to sign with the isles. So either they make trades for great players and get them to sign extensions, which doesn’t seem possible, or the go young through the draft. They don’t have any other options. JT walking away was a huge blow. I can’t remember a team losing their superstar entering his prime as a free agent. That only happens because the isles are not a desirable place to play. That must change
- Jethro09

Yup total disgrace honestly
Ryan spooner, anesimov, tyler johnson, j.p. pageau, and duchene are possible centers they could obtain according to athletic
Cptmjl
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 11:55 AM ET
- Jethro09

I'm failing to see how winning consistently is possible by signing subpar players to long term deals?
That's a rhetorical question of course not necessarily directed at you. Yes losing tavares was a huge blow but giving up after is exactly what this team shouldn't be doing. You're sending that same losing message.
JohnScammo
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 12:22 PM ET
Can we really refer to $2.5m as an albatross? I think that's a bit over the top. Martin's being a healthy scratch with TO last year may be more of a system/team need thing than reflection of his usefulness. Sure I would have loved for us to have gotten more in the deal but as i said, i don't see it as a big deal. If that 4th line can get that chemistry back and we add a dman and skill forward, i still say this team can be better. Let's give Lou some time here.
- keaner17

Not sure. Let me check with Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Let's put it this way if you don't like my metaphor. Toronto is going to have a challenge, I think next year, re-signing some of their young talent. They were paying a guy $2.5 MM to do nothing. Shouldn't it have been worth something just to get rid of that contract? Forget about usefulness to the Islanders, and focus on usefulness to the Leafs. Martin had virtually none. Therefore, Lou should have been able to squeeze additional value out of the Leafs just to unburden them of that contract. That was my only point. I did not even raise the issue of whether Martin will be worth $2.5 MM to the Isles. Different topic (even if related).
ses111
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 12:35 PM ET
EK has Faulk on the move and hearing the Isles.
chazpet
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 12:48 PM ET
Skinner and Faulk maybe?????
kindlyrick
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 1:39 PM ET
- Jethro09

JT leaving like that was horrific as far as this teams perception. The arena will come and ownership changed the management (albeit too late). It’s going to take a coupla years but they will right this ship.

The inability to sign Tavares, and the holding onto him, allowing him to walk for nothing is the epitome of the Snow Islanders. I think Snow is the worst GM in all of sports history. This never should have happened. Gross negligence.
Upstate_isles
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 2:41 PM ET
Skinner and Faulk maybe?????
- chazpet

Faulk would be great I would have preferred dehaan and no hickey but what do I know. Happy 4th
nyisles7
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 3:08 PM ET
Faulk would be great I would have preferred dehaan and no hickey but what do I know. Happy 4th
- Upstate_isles

STFU!
JohnScammo
New York Islanders

Jul 4 @ 5:14 PM ET
STFU!
- nyisles7

7, be more careful this year setting off your firecrackers....

Deleted Post []
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379, 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433, 434, 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451, 452, 453, 454, 455, 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463, 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469, 470, 471, 472, 473, 474, 475, 476, 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498, 499, 500, 501, 502, 503, 504, 505, 506, 507, 508, 509, 510, 511, 512, 513, 514, 515, 516, 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522, 523, 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530, 531, 532, 533, 534, 535, 536, 537, 538, 539, 540, 541, 542, 543, 544, 545, 546, 547, 548, 549, 550, 551, 552, 553, 554, 555, 556, 557, 558, 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 565, 566, 567, 568, 569, 570, 571, 572, 573, 574, 575, 576, 577, 578, 579, 580, 581, 582, 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592, 593, 594, 595, 596, 597, 598, 599, 600, 601, 602, 603, 604, 605, 606, 607, 608, 609, 610, 611, 612, 613, 614, 615, 616, 617, 618, 619, 620, 621, 622, 623, 624, 625, 626, 627, 628, 629, 630, 631, 632, 633, 634, 635, 636, 637, 638, 639, 640, 641, 642, 643, 644, 645, 646, 647, 648, 649, 650, 651, 652, 653, 654, 655, 656, 657, 658, 659, 660, 661, 662, 663, 664, 665, 666, 667, 668, 669, 670, 671, 672, 673, 674, 675, 676, 677, 678, 679, 680, 681, 682, 683, 684, 685, 686, 687, 688, 689, 690, 691, 692, 693, 694, 695, 696, 697, 698, 699, 700, 701, 702, 703, 704, 705, 706, 707, 708, 709, 710, 711, 712, 713, 714, 715, 716, 717, 718, 719, 720, 721, 722, 723, 724, 725, 726, 727, 728, 729, 730, 731, 732, 733, 734, 735, 736, 737, 738, 739, 740, 741, 742, 743, 744, 745, 746, 747, 748, 749, 750, 751, 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 760, 761, 762, 763, 764, 765, 766, 767, 768, 769, 770, 771, 772, 773, 774, 775, 776, 777, 778, 779, 780, 781, 782, 783, 784, 785, 786, 787, 788, 789, 790, 791, 792, 793, 794, 795, 796, 797, 798, 799, 800, 801, 802, 803, 804, 805, 806, 807, 808, 809, 810, 811, 812, 813, 814, 815, 816, 817, 818, 819, 820, 821, 822, 823, 824, 825, 826, 827, 828, 829, 830, 831, 832, 833, 834, 835, 836, 837, 838, 839, 840, 841, 842, 843, 844, 845, 846, 847, 848, 849, 850, 851, 852, 853, 854, 855, 856, 857, 858, 859, 860, 861, 862, 863, 864, 865, 866, 867, 868, 869, 870, 871, 872, 873, 874, 875, 876, 877, 878, 879, 880, 881, 882, 883, 884, 885, 886, 887, 888, 889, 890, 891, 892, 893, 894, 895, 896, 897, 898, 899, 900, 901, 902, 903, 904, 905, 906, 907, 908, 909, 910, 911, 912, 913, 914, 915, 916, 917, 918, 919, 920, 921, 922, 923, 924, 925, 926, 927, 928, 929, 930, 931, 932, 933, 934, 935, 936, 937, 938, 939, 940, 941, 942, 943, 944, 945, 946, 947, 948, 949, 950, 951, 952, 953, 954, 955, 956, 957, 958, 959, 960, 961, 962, 963, 964, 965, 966, 967, 968, 969, 970, 971, 972, 973, 974, 975, 976, 977, 978, 979, 980, 981, 982, 983, 984, 985, 986, 987, 988, 989, 990, 991, 992, 993, 994, 995, 996, 997, 998, 999, 1000, 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 1005, 1006, 1007, 1008, 1009, 1010, 1011, 1012, 1013, 1014, 1015, 1016, 1017, 1018, 1019, 1020, 1021, 1022, 1023, 1024, 1025, 1026, 1027, 1028, 1029, 1030, 1031, 1032, 1033, 1034, 1035, 1036, 1037, 1038, 1039, 1040, 1041, 1042, 1043, 1044, 1045, 1046, 1047, 1048, 1049, 1050, 1051, 1052, 1053, 1054, 1055, 1056, 1057, 1058, 1059, 1060, 1061, 1062, 1063, 1064, 1065, 1066, 1067, 1068, 1069, 1070, 1071, 1072, 1073, 1074, 1075, 1076, 1077, 1078, 1079, 1080, 1081, 1082, 1083, 1084, 1085, 1086, 1087, 1088, 1089, 1090, 1091, 1092, 1093, 1094, 1095, 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099, 1100, 1101, 1102, 1103, 1104, 1105, 1106, 1107, 1108, 1109, 1110, 1111, 1112, 1113, 1114, 1115, 1116, 1117, 1118, 1119, 1120, 1121, 1122, 1123, 1124, 1125, 1126, 1127, 1128, 1129, 1130, 1131, 1132, 1133, 1134, 1135, 1136, 1137, 1138, 1139, 1140, 1141, 1142, 1143, 1144, 1145, 1146, 1147, 1148, 1149, 1150, 1151, 1152, 1153, 1154, 1155, 1156, 1157, 1158, 1159, 1160, 1161, 1162, 1163, 1164, 1165, 1166, 1167, 1168, 1169, 1170, 1171, 1172, 1173, 1174, 1175, 1176, 1177, 1178, 1179, 1180, 1181, 1182, 1183, 1184, 1185, 1186, 1187, 1188, 1189, 1190, 1191, 1192, 1193, 1194, 1195, 1196, 1197, 1198, 1199, 1200, 1201, 1202, 1203, 1204, 1205, 1206, 1207, 1208, 1209, 1210, 1211, 1212, 1213, 1214, 1215, 1216, 1217, 1218, 1219, 1220, 1221, 1222, 1223, 1224, 1225, 1226, 1227, 1228, 1229, 1230, 1231, 1232, 1233, 1234, 1235, 1236, 1237, 1238, 1239, 1240, 1241, 1242, 1243, 1244, 1245, 1246, 1247, 1248, 1249, 1250, 1251, 1252, 1253, 1254, 1255, 1256, 1257, 1258, 1259, 1260, 1261, 1262, 1263, 1264, 1265, 1266, 1267, 1268, 1269, 1270, 1271, 1272, 1273, 1274, 1275, 1276, 1277, 1278, 1279, 1280, 1281, 1282, 1283, 1284, 1285, 1286, 1287, 1288, 1289, 1290, 1291, 1292, 1293, 1294, 1295, 1296, 1297, 1298, 1299, 1300, 1301, 1302, 1303, 1304, 1305, 1306, 1307, 1308, 1309, 1310, 1311, 1312, 1313, 1314, 1315, 1316, 1317, 1318, 1319, 1320, 1321, 1322, 1323, 1324, 1325, 1326, 1327, 1328, 1329, 1330, 1331, 1332, 1333, 1334, 1335, 1336, 1337, 1338, 1339, 1340, 1341, 1342, 1343, 1344, 1345, 1346, 1347, 1348, 1349, 1350, 1351, 1352, 1353, 1354, 1355, 1356, 1357, 1358, 1359, 1360, 1361, 1362, 1363, 1364, 1365, 1366, 1367, 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372, 1373, 1374, 1375, 1376, 1377, 1378, 1379, 1380, 1381, 1382, 1383, 1384, 1385, 1386, 1387, 1388, 1389, 1390  Next