Silly season has started early for NHL GM’s.
Actually… it started a couple of weeks ago when Brock Nelson was signed for 6 years at $6 million a year. It was explained away as the Islanders overpaying a bit for a loyal soldier. OK… I can buy that.
Then… after a few reasonable signings came the news of Buffalo signing Jeff Skinner to a $72 million contract. 8 years, 9 million per. Again… the Sabres giving the extra year for a sniper and $9 million per year seemed… well… OK. I can buy that one too…
Reason seems to break out again as the Islanders sign Jordan Eberle for decent dollars and Washington gets Carl Hagelin signed for reasonable as well. OK… maybe the Nelson and Skinner signings were outliers.
Then… the Erik Karlsson deal. San Jose signs the superstar defenseman for 8 years for a total of $92 million dollars. I honestly do not have an issue with the $11.5 million per year, Karlsson’s offense is that good, but the term is insane for a player that has a disturbing injury pattern over the past three seasons to give him EIGHT years! A show of hands… does anyone see this 29 year old, injury prone defenseman make it to age 37 as an NHL player? I get it… the Sharks are all in… but… they are spending almost 50% of their salary cap on 4 (count ‘em, four) defensemen and they still have to sign Logan Coture, Joe Thornton, Gustav Nyquist and Timo Leier. I am just shaking my head at this one…
Then news breaks yesterday as the Philadelphia Flyers signed Kevin Hayes for seven years at $50 million dollars. $7 million a year for a 19 goal scorer? Mmmmmmmmkay. No wonder Winnipeg traded him, they couldn’t afford that kind of dough.
It makes me shudder to see where the dollars will end up for Matt Duchene.
Silly season is indeed upon us. We will be talking about this and pregaming the NHL Awards tonight on the season finale of SlapShot Radio. Please join Brent Peterson, Zack McCann and me at 6pm on 102.5 the Game.
- More Staff Adds – The Preds announced three development coaches being added to the hockey ops staff yesterday. Former NHL’er Rob Scuderi was added as a Defense Development Coach, Dave Rook, who has been a goaltending consultant for the Preds for the past five years now goes full time as the Goaltending Development Coach.
- Welcome Home – The third add… original Predator Sebastien Bordeleau. The forward spent three seasons with the franchise and comes home to be the team’s Forward Development Coach. Bordeleau spent the last two seasons as a skills coach with Montreal. It is always nice to see members of the original team come back.
- Draft Hub – The Predators have opened up a Draft Hub on their website with some great information about the upcoming NHL Entry Draft.
- Trouba – The cap disaster that is the Winnipeg Jets took another victim as the Jets traded Jacob Trouba to the New York Rangers for Neal Pionk and the Rangers 2019 1st rounder.
- Active Philly – The Flyers have been very active in the trade market, picking up Hayes from Winnipeg and yesterday, acquiring Justin Braun from the Sharks for two picks… While they overpaid for Hayes, it’s hard to argue with the moves they are making so far.
- Cap – Teams are getting a nasty shock as the salary cap may not get to the $83 million level that has been discussed for the last few months. Rumors now have it at $82 million… could make silly season seem even sillier if it does indeed come up at $82 million.
SlapShot Radio’s 11th season is on! As the longest running hockey show in the region, SSR feeds hockey fans what they crave… intelligent, fun, entertaining talk about their favorite sport and we do it from the opening of training camp all the way through the NHL Entry Draft. Our season finale is tonight at 6pm on 102.5 the Game…
We have been delivering great hockey talk to the most energetic and engaged fans in radio and advertising with us drives awareness and results at a reasonable price. Just ask our sponsors… including day one sponsor Drs. Jane Bacon and Aileen Kruger at Hermitage Family and Cosmetic Dentistry
… make your appointment at (615) 872-7762 and Patrick J. Brown’s Farmer Insurance Agency in Mt. Juliet… I switched to them a few years back and their service has been incredible! Give Pat and his team a call at 615-288-2086. And of course… don’t forget our good friend Carter Church! Your Mufreesboro real estate expert with Weichert – The Andrews Group.
Advertisers… We are finishing the season in style and our end of season specials are just getting going… while other local hockey shows are shutting it down, we continue our coverage all the way through the end of the playoffs! Reach out to me in order to access our activated listener base though great stretch run advertising deals available combining radio with advertising right here on my blog. It is a great, cost-effective, high-visibility way to build awareness of your business. You can send me a message on the SlapShot Radio Facebook page or by messaging me right here on HockeyBuzz.
You can also keep up with all the goings on with SlapShot Radio by following the show on Twitter @SlapShotRadio1 … Also... make sure to "like" SlapShot Radio on Facebook... here's the link
If you are outside of the listening area, listen live online at The Game website
or check out the podcast about two hours after the show at on SoundCloud
KINDLE USERS: Please subscribe to Predators Buzz, a one-stop feed for all things Predators-related on HockeyBuzz. Your subscription includes a free 14-day trial and is just 99 cents per month thereafter. For more information, click here