The defending Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings are in town tonight for a rematch with the Nashville Predators at what will be a sold out Bridgestone Arena crowd. The Kings are off to a strange start to this 48 game sprint, dropping their first three, winning their next two, dropping one in a shootout to Nashville last Thursday night, losing to Anaheim, then getting back in the win column in Columbus. Up, down, up, down… the early story of the Kings season.
One of the reasons for the inconsistent play may be some key injuries on the blueline. The defensemen for the Kings are a young bunch that seem to be struggling to jell a bit… and missing Matt Greene and Willie Mitchell doesn’t help the situation.
Nashville is riding a three game win streak and back home after a long roadie that criss-crossed the country. The team broke out of its scoring funk in their 6-1 win over St. Louis and it was a loose bunch of Predators at yesterday’s practice at the arena.
Tonight is expected to be a sell-out, only a few hundred tickets remained as of late yesterday. The game is a College Night presented by Taco Bell… show a college ID at the Bridgestone Arena box office and get an upper bowl ticket for $15 or a lower bowl ticket for $30. Drink specials will also be offered… Game time is 7pm, coverage on the Predators Radio Network with Tom Callahan and Stu Grimson on the call, TV Coverage on Fox Sports Tennessee with Pete Weber and Terry Crisp.
See you tonight!
- Interesting additions to the bill of fare offered at Bridgestone Arena. Things like Chicken and Waffles and Nashville Hot Chicken… my personal favorite of the additions… Bacon on a Stick!!! You read that right… you can find that in Sections 101 and 317. Download a copy of the new “Smashville Culinary Tour” Guide here
- The 7 Dman lineup seems to be working right now, not sure if I expect that to change in the next game or two.
- The Predators Foundation annual Gala is next Wednesday night 2/13 at the Arena… tickets are on sale through the Preds website. SlapShot Radio will be on the scene, broadcasting live from the concourse studio at Bridgestone Arena.
- There’s a good story brewing in Anaheim where first year goaltender Viktor Fasth is making a real play to take the number one spot for the Ducks. The rookie won his fourth game last night, stopping all 31 shots he faced in Anaheim’s 3-0 blanking of the Colorado Avalanche.
- Busy slate in the NHL tonight… Twelve games including Chicago visiting Phoenix for the first time since last season’s WCQF series.
- This Saturday is Hockey Day in Canada… CBC will be hosting the day’s festivities from Peterborough, Ontario. The US can see most of the fun on NHL Center Ice and the NHL Network.
You are invited to follow me on Twitter. Search for @PredPAPaul… Not only will I be updating when I get news or updates, but we are having a bit of fun by getting your input on Gnash introductions, weigh in on Twitter and who knows, we may use your introduction for the best mascot in the NHL at the next Preds game! You can also keep up with all the goings on with SlapShot Radio by following the show on Twitter @SlapShotRadio1
Also... make sure to "like" SlapShot Radio on Facebook... here's the link
Last night’s SlapShot Radio podcast is posted, we had some great guests including Blackhawks broadcaster John Wiedeman and Wild broadcaster Mike Greenlay and Hall of Fame play-by-play man for the LA Kings, Bob Miller.
Join Pete Weber and I every Wednesday at 7pm on 102.5 the Game and the SlapShot Radio Network. Next week, we are live from the Predators Foundation Gala!
We are adding new stations almost every week and are already in three states, on the SlapShot Radio Network.
SlapShot Radio is brought to you by Dr. Jane Bacon at Hermitage Family and Cosmetic Dentistry
(615-872-7762), your Metro Public Health Department and SysTech International
, Drainage Solutions Rx (call Greg at 615-533-9061) and Brinkmann's Wine and Spirits
at (615) 778-0707.
Want to be part of the SlapShot Radio family?
Advertisers… reach out to me to access our activated listener base, we have special deals available as we re-launch our season with the best hockey talk in the mid-South. Contact me at paul(@)slapshotradio(dot)com
Radio station owners/programmers, contact us to carry SlapShot Radio on your station, we are satellite delivered every week via the SlapShot Radio Network.
Our podcasts are posted… Click here
to download or listen to any of this season’s podcasts.
KINDLE USERS: Please subscribe to Predators Buzz, a one-stop feed for all things Predators-related on HockeyBuzz. Your subscription includes a free 14-day trial and is just 99 cents per month thereafter. For more information, click here