Quick Hits: July 20, 2021
1) The Flyers have released their 2021-22 preseason schedule. The games are as follows:
Tue., September 28 vs NY Islanders
Thu., September 30 @ Boston
Sat., October 2 vs Washington
Mon., October 4 vs Boston
Tue., October 5 @ NY Islanders
Fri., October 8 @ Washington
2) New Flyers defenseman Ryan Ellis will have a remote press conference today to discuss the recent trade that brought the longtime Nashville Predator to Philadelphia. The press conference is slated to begin around 11:00 a.m. EDT.
3) On Monday, the Flyers announced the hiring of 53-year-old Darryl Williams
as an assistant coach. Williams, who previously worked as an assistant under Alain Vigneault with the Vancouver Canucks and New York Rangers, will fill the role vacated by Ian Laperriere when Laperriere was named the new head coach of the AHL's Lehigh Valley Phantoms. Mike Yeo, Michel Therrien, Kim Dillabaugh and Adam Patterson are holdovers on the Flyers' staff.
4) Today in Flyers History: On July 20, 1995, the Flyers signed veteran shutdown center Joel Otto to a three-year contract as an unrestricted free agent. The Flyers had been bidding against a divisional rival -- the New York Rangers -- for Otto's services. New York, which had just been swept by the Flyers in the second round of the playoffs, specially wanted Otto as a defensive answer to reigning Hart Trophy winner Eric Lindros. With Mario Lemieux and the Penguins also in the Eastern Conference and the reigning Stanley Cup champion New Jersey being in the same division as Philly and the Rangers, Otto was in high demand. The Flyers won out in the end, and Otto had two strong seasons before an injury-riddled and declining final year in the NHL before he retired.
5) July 20 Flyers Alumni birthday: Terry Murray (1950), Murray Craven (1964), Nick Cousins (1993).
6) There are two days remaining on the Flyers Alumni autographed game-worn jersey auction from the recent Showcase game against the Flyers Warriors. Auction proceeds benefit the Alumni Association.